Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth 401k employer match is trad. Plan offers option to convert the trad to roth as an in-plan conversion. I got 1099-R with code box 7 G. How do I file this on Turbotax?

I have a Roth 401k, but only my contributions go in as Roth and my employer match goes in as traditional dollars.  The plan offers an option to convert the traditional dollars to Roth with an in-plan conversion, and I did a conversion for the amount that had built up over a couple years of contributions.  I received a 1099-R form with the full amount of the conversion listed in box 2a as taxable amount, but the code in box 7 is G.  I thought G means a non-taxable rollover, why isn't this a code 2?  I'm not sure how to pay the appropriate tax for this conversion based on the 1099-R that I received. This was NOT a rollover to an IRA, this was entirely within my 401k from traditional dollars to Roth dollars. Also, how would I file this on Turbotax Deluxe?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Roth 401k employer match is trad. Plan offers option to convert the trad to roth as an in-plan conversion. I got 1099-R with code box 7 G. How do I file this on Turbotax?

To clarify the contributions of the employer were pre-taxed contributions, correct? Therefore that amount will be taxable when converted to a Roth. 

Code G only means it was a direct transfer/rollover. If it would have been a rollover (from a pre-tax to a pre-tax account) then it would not have been included in the taxable income. But since it was a conversion from a pre-tax account to an after tax account then the amount transferred is taxable income. 

Please follow these steps o enter your 1099-R:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” enter your 1099-R
  4. Answer all questions carefully
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for the assistance!

You are correct, I was converting employer contributions that were pre-tax.

I filled out the 1099-R on Turbotax. Do I also have to fill out form 8606?

Pat

dmertz
Level 15

Form 8606 only applies to IRAs.  A 401(k) is not an IRA, so this code-G taxable rollover does not get reported on Form 8606.

That was extremely helpful. Thank you both so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies