Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

M_M2

Received 1099-S sale of my late husband's house which he left to his children. I was the executrix of his will. I did not received any money from the sale

My husband died in 2021. I was the executrix of his will. He only had a house that was his primary residence. He willed the house to his five children. One of the children died 2023.  My name was not in the title of the house. I never lived in the house. The house was transferred to his children by probate court in 2021. The children  sold the house in August, 2023. I received a 1099's from the Title Co. " my name as executrix of my husband's name deceased. What do I need to do/ I do not have money to pay taxes on this sale.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Received 1099-S sale of my late husband's house which he left to his children. I was the executrix of his will. I did not received any money from the sale

Did you apply for an EIN for the estate? What tax ID appears on the 1099-S? 

I am presuming you did not receive any of the proceeds.

Since the children owned the home and they sold it, you are out of the picture for tax purposes.

@M_M2 

@M_M2 

contact the Title Company and ask why the are giving you that document.

The 1099-S should go to the owners who sold the property i.e. the children

M_M2

No I did not apply for EIN. The Estate only consisted of the house and personal property (picture, furniture, clothes etc).  I did not receive any proceeds from the sale. I never lived ln that house. My name was not in the title. It was a house my deceased husband and his first wive bought. The children are the product of that marriage.

Does the 1099-S contain your SSN? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies