turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received 1099-C cancellation of debt for credit card for deceased widowed mother (died 11/5/19) this week. Do i need to file a return for this and how do i do it?

my mother was sole person on credit card account.  no probate was opened because she didn't have enough assets.  do we have to pay taxes on this, my mother died over a year ago?  Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Received 1099-C cancellation of debt for credit card for deceased widowed mother (died 11/5/19) this week. Do i need to file a return for this and how do i do it?

I really appreciate the advice, thank you.

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

So sorry for your loss.

No, you don't have to pay income taxes on your mother's cancelled debt.

Generally, if there was an estate established for her, the cancelled debt would be income to the estate. However, you stated she didn't have enough assets. 

Click this link for more info on Cancelled Debt for Deceased Persons.  Source: MarilynG1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your answer.  Do I need to file a return for her to list this 1099-C, or should I just disregard it?  It says it was furnished to the IRS, so not sure what I should do?

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

In the link in the comment from HelenC12:

Considering your xxx passed away in 20xx,...  Therefore, there is not a return to add the income unless there was an estate opened.  If there was no estate or probate opened or the estate was closed, then there is nothing you can add it to. If you want to be cautious you can put "deceased " on it and send to the IRS with a letter or you can address it later if they contact you over it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies