Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GmaMJ

Possible software issue: CSA-1099-R shows amounts in different boxes in FORMS mode than what was originally entered

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Possible software issue: CSA-1099-R shows amounts in different boxes in FORMS mode than what was originally entered

Yeah...that's been an issue in other years too. 

As long as you used the interview to enter the CSA-1099-R, the software uses the data properly....but it moves a few of the values around to where needed on the standard  Forms Mode form that they do use.  Don't mess with with the entries in Forms Mode.  Just make sure you have selected the CSA-1099-R when you start  the interview, and it should be OK  (At least it has been in prior years.)

We've asked TTX to create an exact replica Forms Mode form for the CSA-1099-R in the past to avoid the "obvious" confusion, but so far they haven't changed it..   (probably for the CSF-1099-R too)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
idahobeauty
Returning Member

I wouldn't say possible. I'd downloaded invested info which slotted nicely into the appropriate places, made some edits and saved maybe a month ago. Today I open the software, do the updates and when it opens, it says I'm all done, let's file, even though I hadn't completed all of the guided sections. I find figures entered in sections I hadn't done yet and those downloaded investment figures changed. What gives? The whole reason for the software is so that I don't have to individually enter and add up all those investment transactions and dividend figures. I changed the dividend ones since those were the quickest, but I'm not amused if I have to go in and manually change all those others.

@idahobeauty 

What you are talking about is a situation that is completely different from the issue the Original Post is talking about.  The OP is about a CSA-1099 data set entered in the interveiw...but TTX puts the data into somewhat different boxes on a 1099-R "worksheet".    That particular issue IS what TTX has done for years, but that data move is appropriate for just that one worksheet.

I don't know why you saw what you did.  Desktop users can sometimes have multiple files and open the wrong one.  Online users should see mostly the same thing as long as they didn't open a second account and log into the wrong one.   The Ready-to-file thing ?  ….  Yeah, I hate the way the Online software proceeds...but people who know better also know they have to go back and enter things they missed, or skipped the first time.  Definitely though, box 11 $$ on a 1099-DIV or box 8 $$ on a 1099-INT do require you to edit those forms and set/define the state sources of those $$.  That particular info doesn't import from the broker.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
doneinflorida
Returning Member

I'm having the same or similar problem with my CSA-1099R form using TurboTax 2020.  Filling out the information manually I'm asked for the amount in Box 9b Total Employee Contribution, and I enter that amount.  When I go to Forms mode that amount is shown in Box 5 and Box 9b is blank.  What gives here????

@doneinflorida 

That's always a confusing issue for desktop people who also have access to "Forms Mode"

In the interview, you just enter your $$ in the proper boxes for a CSA-1099-R...(as long as you selected the proper form when you started that interview section)

BUT

TTX uses a more standard 1099-R form/worksheet in the background (Forms Mode display)....and it moves some of the CSA values in certain boxes, into other boxes that it  needs them to be in for the proper calculations. 

IF you also had entries in the CSA- boxes 12,13,14 in the interview ...TTX moves them to boxes 14,15,16 in the Forms-Mode worksheet....because that's where it needs them for the proper tax calculations

Thus, yet another reason why you should rarely use Forms Mode for making entries....and only to fix occasional problems.

Yes, it would be great if someday TTX would integrate a specific CSA-/CSF-1099-R form in that background worksheet so that people can see that the numbers are actually in the correct boxes...but they haven't done so yet....They've operated that form the same way for many years now.

doneinflorida
Returning Member

Thanks for the clarification - not surprised.  I saw this last year when I first used TurboTax, but didn't question it at the time.  Having done my taxes many prior years with everything on paper, MY final review using TurboTax is to look at the forms.  So, knowing these quirks of TurboTax is helpful to me.  If this isn't going to be fixed any time soon, a note regarding this issue should be added to the interview page as soon as you check CSA-1099-R - just sayin'.  Again, thanks.

The misleading entries in Forms mode also gets printed onto CSA-1099-R when you create a pdf file of the return.  This just isn't right Turbo Tax.  It should be fixed.  People also waste time trying to figure out what's going on.  Fortunately, I stumbled on this in the Forum, but otherwise I'd be real confused.

Lagom Man
Returning Member

Fully Agree!! Working on 2021 taxes in TTX desktop and found these issues and have spent some time trying to find an answer. I also finally found this forum. They need to fix these types of errors as it brings up questions about how accurate the software is. I don't want problems with the IRS in the future.

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies