turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On an indirect 401k rollover, do I have to add withheld tax amount from another source to not be taxed on the indirect rollover?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

On an indirect 401k rollover, do I have to add withheld tax amount from another source to not be taxed on the indirect rollover?

Huh?   It might be taxable and then you get credit later for all your withholding.  Can you explain what you did?  What other source did you have withholding?  What code is on the 1099R box 7.  

I want to withdraw $20,000 from previous employer retirement plan.  They are holding 20% for taxes. So I'm getting a check to put in bank for $16,000. Within 60 days I'm putting it somewhere else that I haven't decided yet.  So when I send the $16,000 to the new place is it a completed transfer or do I have to add another $4000 from somewhere else to not be taxable on everything?  If I can only send $16,000 because the old plan is holding my taxes, does it blow up the transfer?

Yes you have to add the 4,000 back in from your own money.  Or the withholding will become a taxable distribution.  Make sure you put it in a Traditional IRA account not a ROTH.

dmertz
Level 15

If you don't have a temporary need for the $16,000, you can avoid the mandatory 20% tax withholding by determining where you will be moving the finds and request that the 401(k) make a direct rollover there of the entire $20,000.  The plan is required to allow you to request a direct rollover.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies