Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife filed for chp7 in April 2011, there was a Time Share (that was the main reason she did it). This year, we received a 1099-A, 11 years later, is this allowable?

My wife filed for Chapter 7 in April 2011, in there, she put a Time Share (that was the main reason she filed because they did not wanted to cancel it or stop the process). This year, we received a 1099-A, 11 years later, is this allowable? On box 1 "05/12/2022". Box 5 "Checked". Amounts on Box 2 and 5. Box6 "Vacation Ownership Interest". I was doing our taxes and getting a refund, adding this, we have to pay. What can we do?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

My wife filed for chp7 in April 2011, there was a Time Share (that was the main reason she did it). This year, we received a 1099-A, 11 years later, is this allowable?

You do not have to enter the 1099-A if it's for personal property, such as a home or a car, you don't need to report it in your return. Keep this form for your records in case you get a 1099-C that indicates the debt has actually been forgiven.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Even though it was 11 years ago? is there a time limitation for them to send that 1099-C? The bankruptcy was 11 years ago and they never sent us a "Late Fee" letter or anything. So we just "not worry" about it, correct?

Thank you for your quick response

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Because she filed for Bankruptcy, the debt is cleared (that is the purpose of the bankruptcy)- it is strange that they waited so long (if I had to guess they probably never took it off their books so this is how they are closing it out).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I see, Thank you very much MaryK4

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies