turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Pcaejddl

Maximum contributions

Quick question: I want to contribute the max to my 401K this year which for 56 years Is 24,500. I should also be able to through my own account contribute 6500 to a ROTH IRA, correct? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Maximum contributions

The contribution limit for employees who participate in 401(k), 403(b), most 457 plans, and the federal government’s Thrift Savings Plan is increased from $18,000 to $18,500.  The catch-up contribution limit for employees aged 50 and over who participate in 401(k), 403(b), most 457 plans and the federal government’s Thrift Savings Plan remains unchanged at $6,000.  So the maximum contributions you can make to a 401(k) account if age 50 or older in tax year 2018 is $24,500.  See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-2018-pension-plan-limitations-401k-contribution-limit-inc...

You can contribute to a Roth IRA up to a maximum of $6,500 if age 50 or older in tax year 2018.  However, you may be limited on the Roth IRA contribution based on your MAGI and filing status.  See this IRS website for Roth IRA contribution limitations - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/amount-of-roth-ira-contributions-that...

Note that Roth IRA contributions are not deductible on a federal tax return.

racerock11
Returning Member

Maximum contributions

This answer is only partially correct.  What is not considered is the Age Based Contribution benefit IRS allows for in a 403 and/or 457 plan.

Apparently nobody at Turbo Tax got the message last year and forced many of us to print all the forms and snail mail the forms in - when tax deferred contributions exceeded what is written above and allowed based on:

- past contributions

- nearness to retirement

In our case - we take advantage of this and Turbo Tax has yet to fix their software even though they knew about it in Jan of 2019.

Anyone out there know of a tax application that does take into account Age Based Contributions?  In my wifes particular case - almost $70,000 of her income was tax deferred.  Blessed to be able to do that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies