turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clear_s

It says, "Since you deferred some of your Social Security taxes last year, you'll get Form W-2c from your employer..." I did not do that, how do I fix this?

I did not knowingly defer anything.  I've been full time at the same job for 26 years.  What has happened?  Is this true that I owe taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

It says, "Since you deferred some of your Social Security taxes last year, you'll get Form W-2c from your employer..." I did not do that, how do I fix this?

If you got the message  "Heads up! You have a W-2C coming" .  This was fixed in the newest release on 2/19/2020.

Only the customers who now legitimately will receive a W-2C will still get the pop up.

A W-2c form is used by the United States Internal Revenue Service for tax filing and reporting services. This form is known as a Corrected Wage and Tax Statement form.

A W-2c form is used by the United States Internal Revenue Service for tax filing and reporting services. This form is known as a Corrected Wage and Tax Statement form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
andymanoh
Returning Member

I am also getting this message. I am on the latest version. I am using Turbo Tax Home and Business

SamS1
Expert Alumni

Check your W2 input screen.  Box 4 Social Security Taxes should be 6.2% of Box 3.

andymanoh
Returning Member

My wife is a teacher and has never paid social security. First year this has been an error. I've used Turbotax for at least 20 years. lol

LRow
Level 2

@clear_s, I believe this to be the result of Frmr. President Trump's Tax Deferral. Employers dropped the income tax for a brief period and that will be repaid over time during 2021. Thus the W-2c.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

That is correct.  But the only employer that I know of that used the deferral was the federal government, including the military.   If you are sure you are not getting a W-2c (ask your employer; it is very unlikely), you are safe to file.   The error will not prevent e-filing.   @LRow    @andymanoh    @clear_s

If you want to double-check to ensure nothing is afoul with your W-2,  verify that box 4 is exactly 6.2% of box 3.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies