turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is anyone else having an issue entering income? It doesn't show up after I enter my 1099-NEC.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Is anyone else having an issue entering income? It doesn't show up after I enter my 1099-NEC.

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed.  

1099 NEC link to spouse

Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
vscalise

I also am not seeing one of my 1099-NEC income from box 1 showing up

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

1099-NEC income should display on Schedule C of the return as long as the questions setting up the Schedule C are completed, especially ownership

1099 NEC link to spouse

Why am I not able to link my 1099-NEC

Thank You for your patience

Beginning with the 2020 tax year, the IRS will require business taxpayers to report nonemployee compensation on the new Form 1099-NEC instead of on Form 1099-MISC. Businesses will need to use this form if they made payments totaling $600 or more to a nonemployee, such as an independent contractor.  This was done to help clarify the separate filing deadlines on Form 1099-MISC and the new 1099-NEC form will be used starting with the 2020 tax year.

If you are still unable to see your 1099-NEC income showing on Sch C, please refer to the following:

can't see 1099-NEC income on Schedule C

My 1099-NEC does not show up on the Income Summary page, even though there is a line item for 1099-NECs under Other Common Income. However, when I go into Schedule C under Forms, the information is loaded into Schedule C. It's also there if I click the Update button for the 1099-NEC line in the Income Summary page. So I think it's just a problem for the Income Summary page roll-up.

desainr

yes.  I am having same issue.  

arthurcna

It looks like this is an issue again with 2021 filing.  I entered my spouses 1099=NEC and it does not show on the summary page.  It shows up as 0 income, but when I hit the edit button it shows all the information is there.

Any thoughts?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

As far as recording your income, you do not have to enter the Form 1099-NEC directly. It's a convenience but not a requirement. Follow the steps below to enter your business income (it is not 'Other' income).  This will allow you to complete your return without error.  Keep this document with your tax files. 

You should delete the Form 1099-NEC, then enter the income directly following steps below.

Here's the general procedure for viewing the forms list and deleting unwanted forms, schedules, and worksheets in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select Tax Tools and then Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

You can also choose to enter this as a cash payment of business income by selecting Other self-employed income, includes 1099-K, cash, and checks (if you choose this, delete the 1099-NEC).  

I'm having the same issue with TT 2021.  The roll-up to the Income Summary page shows $0 but the details are there when I click on Update.  I went to Forms and the Schedule C and the income is correctly shown there. 

I also noticed that the 1099-NEC for the previous year shows up as 1099-MISC in the Income Summary page.  I double checked my 2020 return and they were correctly entered as 1099-NEC.  If you have any resolution to this, would appreciate it if you could share.

---------------

UPDATE:

It appears that on the 2021 Income Summary page, the 1099-NECs are rolled up into the line "Business Income and Expenses (Sch C)" under the section titled "Business Items".  When I click on the "Update" next to that line, I see the aggregate (gross amount) of my 1099-NECs and the net after my business expenses.  To see the individual 1099-NECs, you still have to go back to the line "Income from Form 1099-NEC" and click on the "Update" button next to that line.

It is not very intuitive but I can see the logic.

fps6103

Is this issue being corrected with an update?  TurboTax Home&Business 2021.  The values show up in Schedule C but not in the "Your 2021 Income Summary" page.  

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

@fps6103

I'm not sure why you are not seeing your income on the summary page. However, you can preview your form 1040 while working in the online version of TurboTax so you can insure your income is reported on your tax return.

You can view your form 1040 while working in the online version of TurboTax by following these steps:

While working on your return in the Federal section of TurboTax:

1.  Choose the Tax Tools icon on your left menu bar

2.  Tools

3.  View Tax Summary

4.  Choose the Preview my 1040 on your left menu bar

I'm not sure if TT will update the software for the 2021 tax year.  As explained in my UPDATE on this topic, TT collected all 1099s in the same section but because the 1099-NECs are treated as Business Income and is reported on Schedule C, it is rolled up into that part of the Income Summary page.  Unlike other 1099s, your income from self-employment is considered a business income and you can take business expense deductions.  It is correct for TT to ensure that the 1099-NECs are not rolled-up in two places (individual income and business income) which would lead to excess taxes.

It would be helpful for 2022 if TT would collect the 1099-NEC info under the business income section and not along with the other 1099s (INT, DIV, MISC).  It would further help avoid confusion if the links that provide information on the 1099s explains why this 1099-NECs are handled separately.

I share your pain.

Same problem here!

Anitaml

I have the Home Business version.   I can only enter income on the 1099-NEC, but the amount doesn't show up.  My last year  didn't show up. Maybe it didn't import  it.   Is there a work around on this?   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies