turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland excludes up to 29000 of pension income from state taxes. How do I identify pension income that may be excluded from MD income tax?

Maryland excludes up to 29000 of pension income from state taxes. There was no way to indicate this when I entered the 1099-R. Where do I do this in Turbotax Permier?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Maryland excludes up to 29000 of pension income from state taxes. How do I identify pension income that may be excluded from MD income tax?

In preparing your MD tax return, TurboTax goes by the fact that the Form 1099-R has code 7 and not code D in box 7 and does not have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.

Note that your exclusion amount is $30,600 minus whatever amount of Social Security income you received.  If you received $30,600 or more of Social Security income, you receive no pension exclusion.  ($29,900 was the maximum pension exclusion for 2017.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

In preparing your MD tax return, TurboTax goes by the fact that the Form 1099-R has code 7 and not code D in box 7 and does not have the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box marked.

Note that your exclusion amount is $30,600 minus whatever amount of Social Security income you received.  If you received $30,600 or more of Social Security income, you receive no pension exclusion.  ($29,900 was the maximum pension exclusion for 2017.)

My USG 1099-R has distribution code 7.  Are Code 7's excluded from the pension exclusion?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Code 7 means it is a normal distribution. 

Can you explain what you mean by "pension exclusion"? 

Is this for your Maryland state return? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Holman94

On my 1099-R, if there is a 7 in the box rather than a D, does that meant that the turbo Tax program will automatically do the right pension exclusion or do I need to do something to ensure that it is done properly?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

No.  You got it.  Enter the 1099-R information from your form with code 7.  When you go through your MD interview you will see the pension exclusion.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies