Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If our social security payments decreased because I sold my apartments in 2018, should we file separately in 2019?

My husband and I had filed jointly in 2018 when my apartments sold. That caused my husband's social security payments to drastically decrease for 2020
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If our social security payments decreased because I sold my apartments in 2018, should we file separately in 2019?

Did the Social Security Payments go down because they increased the Medicare deduction and the IRR for it?  

KittyM2
Expert Alumni

You should ask Social Security if filing separately would restore your husband's Social Security benefits. They have their own rules which are outside the scope of this part of the TurboTax Community. In my experience, his payments will return to their old level after a specified period of time.

Married Filing Separately is an unfriendly tax filing status - it has the highest tax rate and many deductions and credits are limited or unavailable. You might end up paying more in taxes than you would gain by increasing your husband's Social Security payment.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies