Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I bought bitcoin, and sent it to someone's wallet address to withdrawal, is it taxable?

Cashapp bitcoin
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If I bought bitcoin, and sent it to someone's wallet address to withdrawal, is it taxable?

Yes, if you spent it on goods or services, you have effectively exchange the bitcoin - and that is a taxable transaction.   The difference between the amount you paid for it and the amount you exchanged it for is the taxable gain or loss amount.   

Like property sales or the sale of stock, any gain or loss from the sale or trade of cryptocurrency is reported as a capital gain or loss. If you buy and sell it within 12 months, it’s treated as a short-term capital gain. If you hold it for over 12 months, it’s taxed at the lower, long-term, capital gain rates.    Here is how to enter the transaction.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did not sell or trade it. I sent it to someone's wallet so they can withdraw it themselves. 

gasinse1
Returning Member

I think it's more likely yes than no.

If you GAVE it to the other person and they "sold" it then they will have to report the sale using your basis.  This is a gift like any other gift of stock.  You may need to file a gift tax return if you gave more than $15K  in one tax year to any person. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies