Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've had a Roth IRA account with my stock broker for 7 years. There is $200 in the account. If I deposit $5k into that account, could I withdraw tax free this year?

Or does a new 5 yr clock start on the new $5k? I am over 70 yrs old.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I've had a Roth IRA account with my stock broker for 7 years. There is $200 in the account. If I deposit $5k into that account, could I withdraw tax free this year?

The 5-year period starts when you first opened the Roth IRA account. If you withdraw your contributions, it will not be taxable,

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@dmonplaisir 

You don't want to withdraw from a Roth until you have achieved some growth in that account, right.?

Do you have some investment in mind?

(I know what I would invest in)

You indicated you are over 70

...But...do you still have actual wage income?  Either from a W-2 job, or from self-employment income?

Certainly a rollover from another retirement account would be allowed, but you need actual wage/earned income to make a contribution.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies