turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I took 401k early withdrawal due to Covid in 2020 and filed tax and chose 3 years payments. How do I file the 2nd payment in 2021 tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

I took 401k early withdrawal due to Covid in 2020 and filed tax and chose 3 years payments. How do I file the 2nd payment in 2021 tax return?

You will report the second taxable portion of your 2020 coronavirus distribution in the Retirement section under Wages and Income of TurboTax.

However, this section is not yet ready as the IRS has not yet issued instructions for form 8915-F and you'll need to revisit this section later.

Please read this TurboTax Help topic on form 8915-F.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. Do you know when it will be ready?

MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

At this time, we have no information as to when the IRS will release the final form 8915-F.

It is still in draft form as of February 2 on the IRS website.

IWix
Level 3

Thank you for asking this question. I ran up against this same thing, trying to work through my taxes.   Have booked marked this item, hoping to get an update as soon as TurboTax has one.

DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, please check back for updates.

Once the IRS releases the final instructions and form and TurboTax has updated please use these steps to get the disaster distribution questions in the retirement section:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
  4. If you do not have any 2021 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2021?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?" screen

@IWix 

agochic

any updates on this it looks as though it's still in a draft state. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here's the link to the IRS website. Please look for the latest update there.

IRS Form 8915-F

When will TurboTax update so we can file the tax?

MarilynG1
Employee Tax Expert

Form 8915-F for reporting your second distribution of your Covid-related distribution from 2020 will be available by 03/31/2022.

Click this link for a listing of Federal Tax Form Availability.

nguy1656
Returning Member

Why does it take so long? Federal tax due date is April 15, but the form will be available on 3/31/2022? That means a lot people can’t file tax now. Correct?

Does TurboTax have an update on this?

@nguy1656-gmail-c wrote:

Does TurboTax have an update on this?

Form 8915-F, Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Retirements is scheduled to be available in TurboTax on 03/24/2022 to report the 2nd year of the 2020 distribution.

Has this form been released and what are the instructions for filing it.

DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, Form 8915-F has been released. Please follow these steps to get to the questions:

1. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  2. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  3. If you do not have any 2021 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2021?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  4. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?" screen.
  5. Follow the instructions on the screens.

@mehdi_mirza 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies