turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asadighi9

I received CAlPers money from my dad after his death. I chose the lump sum which federal tax and state tax was taken out. How do I file this as income without getting taxed again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I received CAlPers money from my dad after his death. I chose the lump sum which federal tax and state tax was taken out. How do I file this as income without getting taxed again?

You will get a 1099R form from it to enter into your tax return.

You didn't actually pay the tax.  You had taxes withheld like from your paycheck. You still have to enter the 1099R and whole gross original amount (before taxes were withheld) with your other income to figure out the total tax (and it may put you into a higher tax bracket) and then the withholding is subtracted from the total tax to figure your refund or tax due.  The gross amount shows up,on 1040 line 4a and the taxable amount on 4b.  The withholding will show up on 1040 line 16.

@VolvoGirl    Don't forget the new line numbers for 2019  (IF the Draft  1040 forms hold what's on them now)

lines 4c and 4d for pensions (non-IRAs)

and now line 17 for total of all withholding.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Ok right.  Haven't checked them out yet.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies