Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mr--Ken

I have an NR4 from Canada for Pension revenue. Where do I put this revenue and where do I claim the taxes already paid in Canada?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I have an NR4 from Canada for Pension revenue. Where do I put this revenue and where do I claim the taxes already paid in Canada?

Are you a both US and Canadian citizen ?
PatriciaR

Here are the steps to enter your Canadian NR4 Statement:

• While signed into your TurboTax account, Select Federal Taxes (top of program)
  • Select the Wages & Income (sub-tab under Federal Taxes, top left of program)
  • Select Retirement Plans and Social Security (may have to click "Skip to all income" to see all income choices)
  • Select Start or Revisit next to Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099)

The TurboTax interview will guide you through entering your NR4.

To enter any foreign tax you already paid to Canada, follow these steps:

• Select the Deductions & Credits (sub-tab under Federal Taxes, top of program)
  • Select Foreign Taxes under Estimates and Other Taxes Paid (may have to click "skip to all tax breaks" to see all deduction choices)

Enter the amounts on your NR4 converted to U.S. dollars as of the transaction date. Please click this link for historical conversion rates:   https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/fsreports/rpt/treasRptRateExch/treasRptRateExch_home.htm

Click on screenshots below for more detail

For more info specific to the US/Canadian tax treaty, please see http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p597.pdf

I followed these steps as best as possible, but the 1099-R form requires an Employer Identification Number.  TurboTax won't let me file without setting these fields to something.  But the NR4 has no such identifier.  What do I put in for an EIN when no such number exists?

I am having the same problem. I checked the Box "Substitute 1009_R ". Don't know why it gets held up before it even gets to IRS. 20 times I have been rejected. 

Just spoke to aTurbo Agent CPA and she said add it under Social Security  Benefits for said person in US Funds and there is a place for in Tax Withheld below. Mine is part of RMD so I hope IRS realizes why SS is so high!!

She said that is the only other place to put it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies