turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Agrantis
Returning Member

I get Social Security benefits however it is asking me if I got a one time payment from 2019 or earlier but received it in 2020. Do I include this on next years return?

It states on the return from 2019 or earlier so I need help to know if I need to Amend my return or do I report this on next years taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

I get Social Security benefits however it is asking me if I got a one time payment from 2019 or earlier but received it in 2020. Do I include this on next years return?

look at the YEAR in big numerals on your tax document and that is the tax year you will file it.

Or does it say this:

one time payment FOR  [relating to] 2019 or earlier 

your form may list this year and also possibly benefits for prior years.

Enter the entire amount as a "this year" benefit.

That is one option and the simplest.

Agrantis
Returning Member

When TurboTax asked me if said did I receive it in 2019 or earlier however I received it in September 2020 which was late in the year. I just need to know if I need to amend my return as I submitted it. If it’s ok to report this on next years taxes I would much rather prefer it. 

Agrantis
Returning Member

The form I received from social security did not include or mention the one time payment at all. It just mentioned regular earnings. I am really confused what to do.

Agrantis
Returning Member

On my form from Social Security it just mentions my regular earnings and did not mention anywhere the one time payment 

@Agrantis wrote:

On my form from Social Security it just mentions my regular earnings and did not mention anywhere the one time payment 

If your SSA-1099 does not show a lump sum payment for a prior year then when asked if you received a lump sum payment in 2020 your answer to the question is NO.

Agrantis
Returning Member

Ok my form does not show the lump sum anywhere. It just shows my regular earnings. It doesn’t mention the lump sum but I received a one time payment in September 2020. If I can claim this on next years tax return I am not sure. 

Agrantis
Returning Member

Turbotax is asking exactly this: We need to know if you received any lump-sum Social Security payments in 2020 for 2019 or earlier?

I received a lump sum payment late in year for 2020, however it was not for any months in 2019. So I am wondering if I just include this amount for next years tax return when I file?

Since you did NOT receive a lump sum for a prior year answer NO and continue.  The amount of net SS benefits you received in 2020 is in box 5 of the SSA-1099 and is reported on your 2020 tax return.

Agrantis
Returning Member

Thank you for the information and your help. That is what I originally submitted when I did my taxes on 5/5/2021. I was just worried something was wrong as it has been nearly a month now and I never received my refund yet. I am wondering if at some point I need to contact IRS as I’ve never had take this long before. I really appreciate your helping me with this. 

you are grasping at straws to explain your late refund.

you seem confused but there is no reason to be.

see my original answer.

report benefits in the tax year corresponding to the year shown on your tax document.

If you did not do that, then manual examination by a person may be needed, and your refund will be further delayed.

Agrantis
Returning Member

thanks for your reply. I did report all earnings from my box 5 in social security earnings and was told that this is all the information I need to submit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies