turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jOHn71234
Returning Member

I did not have social security or medicare with held but now box 12 wants me to put in code and i do not have one

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

I did not have social security or medicare with held but now box 12 wants me to put in code and i do not have one

Did you get a W2 or 1099NEC?  If you got a W2 there should be Social Security and Medicare in boxes 3-6.  Box 12 is for something else.  If box 12 doesn't have an amount leave it blank.  Do not enter zero.

jOHn71234
Returning Member

box 12 is all blank but it indicates i have withheld taxes, which i never have.  i can not put in zero because it indicates i withheld taxes again.

jOHn71234
Returning Member

w2

jOHn71234
Returning Member

please advise

I'm sorry I'm not following you.  I said DO NOT enter 0 anywhere. If a box has zero in it then leave it blank or empty.  Delete the W2 and re enter it.

What is the exact message you get?  Is it about Excess Social Security Tax withheld?

jOHn71234
Returning Member

anyone there

jOHn71234
Returning Member

i cant enter 0.  they what to know what aspect of taxes i had with held.  i have not had additional taxes withheld.  

jOHn71234
Returning Member

no about withholding taxes. this was regarding trump mid year.  we opted out.   i work for a small business and the owner indicated we were not going to do that which we all agreed

jOHn71234
Returning Member

with my w2 a number needs to be entered regarding box 12 a, b,c and d.

If you don't have any amounts in box 12a-d then do not pick a code.  Leave them all blank.

Manage cookies