turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I can e file my federal return but cant e file nys because of 8915 E ira distributions. does anyone know when nys will be updated? Also should I e file my federal now

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

I can e file my federal return but cant e file nys because of 8915 E ira distributions. does anyone know when nys will be updated? Also should I e file my federal now

Was on the phone today with TT and already had a case open regarding this error. Was told it would be forwarded to the engineering department. Other states are having this issue as well. Anyone's guess at this point when this will be ready to go.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

For the NY issue, please try this workaround - New York Pension Exclusion    @NYS Cruiser

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@DawnC 

My issues is directly related to the 8915-e information not properly being transferred to the Pension/IRA/Annunity work sheet in the NYS return. The information in the work around was fine. When I spoke to a live TT staff member earlier they requested I wait a few more days and if nothing, I will handle that then....Thanks!

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-E has already finalized and released.  Make sure to update your program by following these steps:

• If you are using the online version, it's an automatic update when you sign in and out. 
  • If you are using the TurboTax CD/Download software program, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top.

If you are under age 59 1/2, the distribution from the retirement plans and IRAs is considered as an early withdrawal.  Generally, you will pay both regular tax plus an additional 10% penalty of your entire distribution unless you met certain criteria.  Due to the CARES Act, if your retirement distribution is related the Covid-19, you will not be liable for this additional penalty.  You will still pay the normal taxes like your wages and income.  For more information from the IRS, click here: Covid Relief.  If your distribution is not related to the Covid, you will need to pay the penalty.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am having the exact same issue. They told me that it would be ready today. Nada. Still getting that error message. So disappointed. Need to file my taxes TurboTax Engineer. Fix the PROBLEM.

I have the same problem in Michigan.  Hope it gets fixed soon!

Work around isn't helping me. I have an error on the Pension/Annuities/IRAs Worksheet screen. The error is on the Federal Taxable pension/IRS (regular) line and it won't allow me to change it.

I'm having the same issue with NYS IRA worksheet. Please post a reply if you get answer on how to fix. Thanks.

@ld4runner 

I was told March 18th, the NYS issue should be resolved.

Update went through this morning but now there is another problem. When attempting to e-file state, program is saying to e-file you must select the federal return. The option they give is to go back 1 page but on the previous page it says federal return already e-filed and there is no option to reselect it. Any work around you are aware of?

I am having same problem. Called them regarding issue. Clueless. Hoping someone will be able to help. Please let me know if you found a solution. Too ridiculous.

@ld4runner 

Spent over an hour on the phone and screen sharing and there is no resolution and no time frame that I was given. It is a joke at this point how bad this company has gotten..

I called this morning too and was told to mail it in so I did. I'm done with all this nonsense at least for this year anyway. The rep on the phone actually put the blame on New York State. What a disgrace!

I think NYS only accepts e-filed returns. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies