turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smsander
Returning Member

I am trying to complete the 2020 disaster distribution section (spreading over three years) and it keeps looping me back

How do I speak to someone with Turbo Tax to complete my taxes?! I have been trying to complete the 2020 disaster distribution section, and it takes me in loops asking the same questions.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

I am trying to complete the 2020 disaster distribution section (spreading over three years) and it keeps looping me back

To speak to someone to help complete your taxes sign in to your current account and open or continue your return. Select the Live Tax Advice button. Select Upgrade to choose Live help.

The coronavirus-related distribution is a distribution that was made from an eligible retirement plan to a qualified individual from January 1, 2020, to December 30, 2020, up to an aggregate limit of $100,000 from all plans and IRAs.  This was reported on 2020 tax returns and is not reported on 2021 tax returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
smsander
Returning Member

It is absolutely reported on returns for 2020, 2021, and 2022 as there was an option to pay taxes spread over three years.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Were you reporting distributions in Part II or Part III of the Form 8915-F?  Please clarify.

I was able to generate an IRS Form 8915-F Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments and report distributions other than IRA's in Part II.

• I did not repay any 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution in 2021.
  • I did not report a disaster distribution in 2017, 2018 or 2019.
  • I reported No for the second question Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020? after the section Wages & Income and before the section Deductions & Credits.

The intent is for you to see the 1/3 spread over the three years:

• Included on the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return line 5b,
  • Not included on the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return line 5a, and
  • In Part II of Form 8915-F on lines 12, 13 and 15.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
smsander
Returning Member

I completed all of the questions and entered the amounts from the 2020 8915-E it asks for (the 1/3 amount). The problem is after all of the information is entered, turbo tax takes you back to the beginning of this section- asking the same exact questions. I am not the only one who has stated it just goes in loops. 

@smsander wrote:

I completed all of the questions and entered the amounts from the 2020 8915-E it asks for (the 1/3 amount). The problem is after all of the information is entered, turbo tax takes you back to the beginning of this section- asking the same exact questions. I am not the only one who has stated it just goes in loops. 

If you land on the screen Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020? answer NO

smsander
Returning Member

Why would I answer no when I did?

@smsander wrote:

Why would I answer no when I did?

The answer was in response to someone who already completed the 2nd year Coronavirus-related distribution in the Form 1099-R section or Other disaster distribution in tax years 2018 thru 2020 .  They need to answer No so that they will not be routed back to the Form 1099-R section to complete what has already been completed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies