turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HSA catch up contribution if both myself and my wife are 55+

Both myself and my wife are 55+.  So, I think each of us can contribute an additional $1000 on top of the limit. We do have 2 HSA accounts, one for my wife and one for myself plus my kid.  My question is whether the above mentioned understanding is correct.  Also, when filing tax, the total contribution for the family will be $2000 more than the regular HSA limit for family.  Will that be a problem?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Yes, you and your wife can each make an additional $1,000 catch-up contribution to your respective HSAs. Your tax return will include Form 8889 showing the higher limit, so the higher contribution will not be a problem.

dmertz
Level 15

Just make sure that your $1,000 catch-up contribution is made to your HSA and your wife's catch-up contribution is made to her HSA.  For both spouses to make HSA contributions, each spouse must be an HSA-eligible individual.  As long as one of the spouses has family HDHP coverage and both spouses are HSA-eligible, the maximum contribution by either spouse for 2019 is $8,000, with the remainder of the $9,000 total being made to the other spouse's HSA.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies