turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmurphy

How do I include form 5329 when I e-file with TurboTax?

I forgot to take an RMD from an inherited Roth in 2019. I withdraw it on Jan. 6, 2020. How do I include form 5329 to report that when I e-file with TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

36 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you must include form 5329 when you e-file.

To fill out form 5329:

1. Open your return and click on Search on the top of your screen.
  2. In the Search box, type form 5329 and click on the magnifying glass icon on the right
  3. Click on the link Jump to form 5329
  4. TurboTax will take you to a section where you can fill out form 5329, which will be included in your tax return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmurphy

I tried that, but it's like it's doing a web search, not a search in TurboTax. It got 7742 hits. The first link is to this question online. I also clicked on "Forms", but that appears to only list the forms that are currently included in my return.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You don't have anything entered into your tax return to trigger the 5329. You have forms mode.

1. In forms mode, go to the top of the list and you will see OPEN form and ERRORS.
  2. Click on open form. 
  3. Wait patiently, May need to click it again and wait
  4. search box opens up
  5. Type in 5329 pause,
  6. the federal will dropdown and show 5329-T, Taxpayer an 5329-S for Spouse.
  7. Click open form

@dmurphy

dmurphy

Thank you, Amy. That worked great. I appreciate your help.

ajbrogan
Returning Member

How do I add form 5329 in the online version of Turbo Tax?  I tried the suggested search and had the same problem where I got a lot of irrelevant results.  Is there a way to manually add a form in the online version?  I've looked but can't find it.  Thanks!

To access form 5329, you have to use Forms Mode.  Please note, this could waive the 100% accuracy guarantee.  You can use TurboTax Live and ask an expert for help, however, if you would like continue on your own, here is how to access form 5329:

If you are using the CD/download version:

Enter the forms mode and click on open form. Type in 5329. Choose 5329-T for the taxpayer (first person listed on your tax return), or 5329-S (for spouse - 2nd person on tax return).

Scroll down to Part IX line 52 and enter the RMD amount that should have been taken. On line 53 enter the amount of the RMD that was actually taken (probably zero if it was missed).

Then in the box right under line 53 "Waver of Tax Smart Worksheet" enter the same amount as line 52 (the RMD amount). Then click the "Explanation" button and enter the reason for missing the RMD and your statement requesting a waver.

You will not pay any penalty now until the IRS determines if it will grant the waver, then they will inform you if you owe the penalty.

OR - if using the Online version and have no 2019 1099-R to file, you will have to prepare the 5329 manually .

Download the 5329 form from the IRS website and fill it out the same as above. Print and mail your return with the 5329 form and explanation attached as described in the 5329 instructions.

The 2019 5329 must be attached to your printed and mailed 2019 tax return and cannot be e-filed.

Please note, if you have a COVID related need for the form, the IRS is updating form 5329’s instructions to make it clear that COVID related exceptions cannot use 5329 and should use the new 8915-E.   TurboTax anticipates this form will  be ready starting 2/25/2021.

Form 8915-E: Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments

@ajbrogan

Bob T1944

Turbotax does not let me enter numbers in the data fields.  I opened 2020 Traditional IRA by mistake.  Since I am covered by employer retirement plan and my income exceeds the limit, I  should not have opened the IRA.  I closed the IRA and need to submit Form 5629 but I cannot enter data.  How can I enter data? Thanks

ajbrogan
Returning Member

Hi Bob -- are you using TurboTax online?  I am too, and as you can see, I had a similar question above.  I think this same problem happens to people all the time, so it would be great if TurboTax had an option to help us in the online version!  I may have found a workaround, though, at least for a Roth IRA.  To trigger the Form 5329 to appear, I created a dummy 1099-R with the dollar values I expect to see on my 1099-R next year.  I had to work with my financial advisor to get the right numbers to enter on Lines 1 and 2a.  I also had to Google the right codes to put into the 1099-R on line 7.  I used 8 and J, and that seemed to work.  Hope this helps!  Good luck!

Bob T1944

Thanks.  I'm working w the disc version.  I've been trying to fiddle with other inputs to see if I can trigger getting Turbotax to ask me for the input data for the form (sorta like you did) but no luck yet.  I've not experienced the situation before where I can't enter data directly to the form.  Fortunately IRS and state extended the filing date.  If I can't solve soon I am toying with trying HR Block Premium online and perhaps switching in in future years if their solution is better.  Thanks

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@BobT1944 I suggest you enter the IRA contribution and work through the steps in TurboTax. You will be informed that you will be penalized for the  excess IRA contribution and asked if you withdrew the money by the due date of your tax return. If you say "no" then form 5329 will be generated by TurboTax to account for the penalty on your excess contribution.

Bob T1944

Thanks.  But I did withdraw the excess IRA contribution before my filing date and for this situation, Turbotax does NOT provide a Form 5329 for me to fill out.  I put 7000 in and only got 6500 back because the value of the IRA went down.  The banker will report the 500 loss for 2020 but will not send a 1099 until next year.  So I'd like to report a 2020 loss.  Don't I need to file a Form 5329 to do this?  Thanks.  BTW,  Turbotax generated a Form 8606.  Won't this cause me a problem if I don't include a 5329 to show I removed this excess contribution?  Thanks again

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

No, you do not need Form 5329.  You removed the excess contribution so you would only need to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty on the earnings portion, but there was no earnings portion.   Since you removed the excess contributions, no 6% penalty is incurred.    The 6% penalty applies to the lesser of your excess contributions ($0) or the year-end balance 

The loss that you had will carry forward within the account until you start to take distributions.   @Bob T1944

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

It depends. A 5329 is automatically generated in response to questions you answer in Turbo Tax. What is the specific reason why you need to file one?

If it's anything like my situation, the Roth IRA custodian included the same amount in box 1 and 2a while also checking 2b. So I need to adjust the amount in 2a for the contributions to arrive at net income attributable, rather than the custodian's entry of the full box 1 amount. I'm not sure where else to do that within TurboTax other than 5329 or 8606 which are both not quite accessible directly

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies