turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I fix the problem where every time I enter US government income for a mutual fund, Turbo Tax erases it without an error message?

other mutual fund accounts that had US government income did not have this problem.   After I enter the $ amount it puts me back on the page with all the 1099-Div accounts but it says it needs review. If I uncheck the box that says US government income is included, then everything works fine, so I assume that it doesn't like the interest.  Info from the 1099-div was imported directly from the mutual fund company.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I fix the problem where every time I enter US government income for a mutual fund, Turbo Tax erases it without an error message?

@exdev 

There is a workaround for that:   ( And YES, you must enter that 1099-DIV, even if box 1a was all US Govt interest )

Workaround:

Edit that 1099-DIV.

On the main form page that shows boxes 1a, 1b and 2a ?

1)  .....make sure those boxes show whatever your Mutual fund sent out.

2)  Then check the box to expand the form to show all the other boxes. 

3)   Scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit "Continue"

4)   Check the box for Part is US Govt interest as you did before and Continue.

5)   Enter the US Govt interest amount as you did before...& Continue

Should be OK now.....simply checking the box in #2 clears the "Review" error.

The reason it wasn't an issue with some other 1099-DIV forms was likely that some of the other boxes were used, so the full  screen was checked.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

The issue has been submitted and is currently under investigation.  Please click on the following link and sign up for an email notification when it's fixed. 

1099-DIV needs review

Thank You for your patience

A common reason for receiving a 1099-DIV form is because some of the stocks you own pay dividends, or a mutual fund you invest in made a capital gains distribution to you during the year. It is possible that you might also receive US government related funds that are tax exempt.  You won’t file the 1099-DIV with the Internal Revenue Service, but you will need the information it reports when preparing your tax return.

For more information, click here: 1099-DIV

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@exdev 

There is a workaround for that:   ( And YES, you must enter that 1099-DIV, even if box 1a was all US Govt interest )

Workaround:

Edit that 1099-DIV.

On the main form page that shows boxes 1a, 1b and 2a ?

1)  .....make sure those boxes show whatever your Mutual fund sent out.

2)  Then check the box to expand the form to show all the other boxes. 

3)   Scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit "Continue"

4)   Check the box for Part is US Govt interest as you did before and Continue.

5)   Enter the US Govt interest amount as you did before...& Continue

Should be OK now.....simply checking the box in #2 clears the "Review" error.

The reason it wasn't an issue with some other 1099-DIV forms was likely that some of the other boxes were used, so the full  screen was checked.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thank you so much!  That worked!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies