Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter two 1099 G forms from two different tax years for the calendar year

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
RyanH2

How do I enter two 1099 G forms from two different tax years for the calendar year

Make sure to enter the form on the correct return and the year it corresponds to. For example, if you have a 1099-G from 2015 you would amend your 2015 return. The 2016 would also be entered on its prospective 2016 return. There are directions below on how to amend, as well as how to enter Form 1099-G.

To file an amended return:

1. Wait for your return to be accepted or rejected by the IRS

2. Log into your account, and at your tax timeline select your "2016 Tax Year"

3. Select to "Amend (Change) 2016 return" and follow the directions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

To Enter Form 1099-G for Unemployment:

1. Select "Federal Taxes" at the top of the page

2. Select the "Wages & Income" sub-tab

3. Scroll down to "Unemployment" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Unemployment and paid family leave"

5. Proceed to enter your 1099-G information

To Enter Your Form 1099-G for a State Refund:

1. Go to the search bar in the top right and enter "1099-G"

2. Select "Jump to 1099-G"                                                      

3. Answer "Yes" to "Did you have any of these types of income?"

4. Select State or local income tax statements at the State and Local Tax Refunds and Other Government Payments screen

5. Answer "Yes" to "Did You Get a State or Local Tax Refund Last Year?"

6. Select 2014 as the year you received your 1099-G and continue through the interview process

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301604

LynneG

I was behind in filing my taxes.  I did not owe anything.  Instead, I only delayed receiving my refund for those years.  Instead of using TurboTax, I went to an CPA in 2018 in order to file all three years at once.  I now have three (3) 1099-G forms for each year and am wondering the best way to handle that.  It looks like my CPA filed everything with one form for 2018.  When I claim them should I, therefore, group them all under received for year 2018?  I am not sure how to break them down the way the TurboTax form suggests.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If you only received one Form 1099-G, then you can just report it in one place.

If you received a Form 1099-G for each year to where you received three 1099-G forms, you can simply select Add another 1099-G form.

Add a 1099-G

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No he couldn't file all of them with one form.  You have to file each year separately.  That's why you got 3 1099G, one for each year's refund.  So don't know what you mean by that.

But you might not need to enter the 1099G at all.  Did he use Itemized Deductions on schedule A for any year or just take the Standard Deduction?  

A State Tax Refund is taxable if you itemized deductions on that prior year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sale tax.  You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable and you don't need to report it.

Thank you so much - took me a while to find this answer - but most appreciated!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies