turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter that in August of 2020 I returned a portion of my RMD?

I took the rmd in January and returned most of it in August, how do I enter that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Just enter the 1099-R and say that it was NOT a RMD and then say it was all rolled over.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-E: Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments, which is used for COVID-related early distributions, will be e-fileable starting 2/24.

The IRS is updating form 5329’s instructions to make it clear that COVID related exceptions cannot use 5329 and should use the new 8915-E.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AmyC wrote:

Form 8915-E: Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments, which is used for COVID-related early distributions, will be e-fileable starting 2/24.

The IRS is updating form 5329’s instructions to make it clear that COVID related exceptions cannot use 5329 and should use the new 8915-E.

@AmyC  The question is about a RMD rollover that has nothing to do with the 8915-E form.  It is simply the same as any other IRA rollover, except the CARES act allowed RMD to be rolled back.    8915-E not used for this.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I can't say I rolled over all of it, because I only sent back to the same IRA part of the distribution

yes, but how do I enter the rolled over portion in TurboTax?

@napadave wrote:

yes, but how do I enter the rolled over portion in TurboTax?

Check the box that you did a combination of thing and the  enter the amount rolled over.   The amount not rolled over will be ordinary income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies