turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

denk27
Returning Member

How do I enter that I chose to rollover State refund to current year? Using online TurboTax for the first time so need help adding in items from the previous year.

Under Federal section - Income & Expenses - Tell us about your refund - State or Locality - Arizona - Total Refund Received in 2019 - then what? If I rolled over 100% of it, do I put in $0? If not, then where do I put that I rolled it over? Also, what in the heck is "Total of all your payments and withholding" - which is the next box down.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I enter that I chose to rollover State refund to current year? Using online TurboTax for the first time so need help adding in items from the previous year.

If it didn't transfer over from last year then enter a refund from last year that you applied to this year here.   BUT first make sure it's not already there.  You don't want to apply it twice.

Federal on left

Deductions and Credits at top

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Revisit

Next page scroll down to 2018 Refund Applied to 2019

Click Start or Update by the tax you applied

NOTE:  When you enter a 1099G for a state refund  under income there is a box to check and then fill out the amount of state refund you had applied to next year's estimated taxes.  If you filled that in then do not fill it in again under Deductions and Credits.  It won't show that amount in Deductions but if you enter it again it will be doubled.

Then for your 1099G State Refund........

A State Tax Refund is taxable if you itemized deductions on that prior year's federal return and took a deduction for state income taxes instead of the sale tax.  You got a deduction benefit for it so now you have to include it as income. If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable and you don't need to report it.

denk27
Returning Member

@VolvoGirl 

I apologize that I didn't see that you replied already. The section that you are telling me to go to doesn't exist for me.

I can get to "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid," but there is no section under it that says, "Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Revisit"

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Instead of 'Other Income Taxes', the label might be just 'Income Taxes'. 

Click Start or Revisit beside Income Taxes under the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section.

@denk27

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies