turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get the total dollars shown on my 1099-NEC to show up on the summary Of Income and Expenses?

I have entered it numerous times and it still keeps showing $0.00.  Also the self-employment income and expenses can't be correct.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

How can I get the total dollars shown on my 1099-NEC to show up on the summary Of Income and Expenses?

Both the 1099-NEC and the MISC will be reported under a schedule C business entity.

1. Income and Expenses
  2. Self-employment income and expenses
  3. Continue through the interview.
  4. Once your business data is complete select Looks Good at the bottom of the page.
  5. Let's enter the income for your Tax preparation work
  6. The 1099-NEC is listed under income
  7. The 1099-MISC is under Less Common Income
  8. Again continue through the interview and you will be able to enter Expenses.

If you've done that there may be something corrupted in the 1099-NEC.

There are two ways to clear entries from your return.

The first thing to try is to go into the section that has the form  (Less Common Income)

1. select the entry that you want to clear. 
  2. On the right hand side there is a trash can. 
  3. Select the trash can and confirm you want to delete that form.

To Delete a form:

1. On the menu bar on the left that shows.
    1. My Info
    2. Federal
    3. State
    4. Review
    5. File
  2. Select Tax Tools
  3. On the drop down select Tools
  4. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  5. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  6. Scroll down to the form you want to delete
  7. Select the Form
  8. Click on Delete.
  9. Always use extreme caution when deleting from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
B_T007
Returning Member

If I understand you correctly, it will $0 under the Income Summary section but will be captured on Schedule C. Is that correct? It is disconcerting beccause it looks like I am not reporting income. 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

No, that is not correct. The Form 1099-NEC should only be entered once.  The information will show in both the self-employment section and in the 1099-NEC summary section.  With it showing $0 is not correct.  You should be able to enter the amount in the 1099-NEC section and see the amount in both sections.   

B_T007
Returning Member

Well, I have entered and reentered the information and it is still showing $0. Do you know how I can go about getting it fixed?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can enter a 1099NEC multiple places. You need to delete all that you have entered. Go to the business section of the program, enter your business information. See Where do I enter Schedule C?

Once you get past the profile, it will ask about income. Select the NEC there and enter the information as part of the business return. It is the first option. 

In addition, see IRS Self-Employed Individuals Tax Center for more deductions.

jmullen13
Returning Member

I think I understand what you were asking. I believe I'm having the same issue. Did you ever get this resolved? I have entered my 1099-NEC. On the summary page it shows $0 but when I click to edit, it shows the entry inside. I question this because my 2019 data is sitting right next to it and it shows the amount from 2019, so I know there should be a total in the summary. Do I have to go all the way through the Schedule C questions with expenses before it will show up? Thank you. 

That form is entered on the Sch C in the income section but the summary will only show the net gain or loss so do you have a zero bottom line on the Sch C ?

KCCCo

Same here! Help! Says $0 on summary. Is populated with dollar amount when I click on it. What’s up??

Vanessa A
Employee Tax Expert

The summary screen sometimes will show $0 if you did not complete your entries or if you had expenses that brought your income down to a certain level and then had a home office or health insurance deduction that reduced your income to $0. If this is not the case for your, then you can look at your 1040 form to be sure they are there correctly.  Income from your 1099-NEC will show on your Schedule 1 and then on your 1040 line 8. 

You can also see the amounts entered or being reported using forms mode in TurboTax Desktop or if you are using TurboTax online by clicking the following:

• Tax Tools
  • Tools
  • View Tax Summary
  • Preview My 1040

The summary screen, although a helpful tool, does not affect what is reported on your return, so looking at your return itself will give you the information you need.

This bug still exists in TT 2023.
Shows $0 in the 1099-NEC column in the 2023 summary , yet clicking on the entry shows the correct data.

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

What version of TurboTax are you using? And what type of income did you report from Form 1099-NEC? Was it for a business or rental property? If so, TurboTax automatically reports the income under the related topic. This results in a zero on the income summary page. But the income does appear for the related business or rental property.

@loopless

I am using Turbo Tax 2023 on MacOS 14.3.1
There is no problem with the income being properly reported in the actual return , it seems odd that  you go to "Other Common Income" , click on "Income from 1099-NEC", click update and enter income, and the summary resolutely stays at $0.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Are you still experiencing this problem?

Make sure you have ran all updates. 

If using TurboTax Online: Clear your cache and cookies. See this FAQ, for your particular browser.

If using TurboTax Desktop: Please see this FAQ.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies