Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filing Status, changing it from married to separate

I entered the data for my son, as married filing joint.  Now they want me to file married filing separately.  I am concerned they will change back driving me crazy

So, if I change the filing status to married filing separately in TurboTax, will it create two tax returns, or do I have to start over and enter them as two separate returns

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
PattiF
Expert Alumni

You can change the filing status for your son's return from married filing jointly to married filing separately. There are detailed instructions from TurboTax to do this. As long as the return has not been filed as MFS you can proceed to separate the returns.

You do need to start over and create two separate returns. Clear and start over using Tax Tools on the left side of the screen, and follow the instructions in this TurboTax Help article to create two separate returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just so you know---after the filing deadline on April 18, 2023 you are not permitted to amend from a joint return to married filing separately.  So if you are planning to amend the tax returns it has to be done by April 18.

Do your son and daughter-n-law fully understand the rules for MFS?

If you were legally married at the end of 2022 your filing choices are married filing jointly or married filing separately.

Married Filing Jointly is usually better, even if one spouse had little or no income. When you file a joint return, you and your spouse will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $25,900 (+$1400 for each spouse 65 or older)  You are eligible for more credits including education credits, earned income credit, child and dependent care credit, and a larger income limit to receive the child tax credit. 

If you choose to file married filing separately, both spouses have to file the same way—either you both itemize or you both use standard deduction. Your tax rate will be higher than on a joint return. Some of the special rules for filing separately include: you cannot get earned income credit, education credits, adoption credits, or deductions for student loan interest. A higher percent of your Social Security benefits may be taxable. Your limit for SALT (state and local taxes and sales tax) will be only $5000 per spouse. In many cases you will not be able to take the child and dependent care credit. The amount you can contribute to a retirement account will be affected. If you live in a community property state, you will be required to provide additional information regarding your spouse’s income. ( Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI)

If  you are using online TurboTax to prepare your returns, you will need to prepare two separate returns and pay twice.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901162-married-filing-separately-in-community-property-states

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

thanks, all I was asking is can I, after entering the information for husband and wife, and before filing, switch back and forth between married filing joint and married filing separately.    What I gather from the other response is that I can switch it, and then re-enter the spouse information in a separate return

I was hoping Turbotax could just handle that back and forth until filed, but it turns out that it cannot

thanks again

@tdattomo Oh---you have not yet filed?  No, you cannot switch back and forth from a MFJ return to MFS returns.  Sorry---it takes a lot more work than just clicking on a filing status.  To really compare--you need to prepare three returns.  Prepare a joint return and then prepare the two separate returns--one for each spouse.  And....follow all of the rules regarding itemizing, using standard deduction, and if in a community property state---the rules for the specific state.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies