Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

VW69U

Where do I enter the funds I rolled over into a qualified traditional IRA annuity from my 401k and pension?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

Where do I enter the funds I rolled over into a qualified traditional IRA annuity from my 401k and pension?

Enter your 1099-R exactly as reported. 

1. Open (continue) return if you don't already have it open.

2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.

3. Answer Yes on the Your 1099-R screen, then select Continue.

• If you land on the Your 1099-R Entries screen instead, select Add Another 1099-R.

4. Select how you want to enter your 1099-R (import or type it in yourself). You can add up to 20 1099-Rs.

5. Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the What Did You Do With The Money From This Payer? screen, select the appropriate response.

6. If you select I rolled over all of this money to another IRA...., your IRA will not be taxed.

If you choose not to use the "Jump to" feature:

1. Log on to TurboTax.
  2. Click on the Take me to my return button.
  3. On the left navigation bar, click on Federal.
  4. Click on the Wages & Income tab.
  5. Edit/Add the 1099-R.
  6. Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the What Did You Do With The Money From This Payer? screen, select the appropriate response.
  7. If you select I rolled over all of this money to another IRA...., your IRA will not be taxed.

Related information:

[Edited 3-11-2020|12:56 pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
HelenC1
Expert Alumni

Enter your 1099-R exactly as reported. 

1. Open (continue) return if you don't already have it open.

2. Inside TurboTax, search for 1099-R and select the Jump to link in the search results.

3. Answer Yes on the Your 1099-R screen, then select Continue.

• If you land on the Your 1099-R Entries screen instead, select Add Another 1099-R.

4. Select how you want to enter your 1099-R (import or type it in yourself). You can add up to 20 1099-Rs.

5. Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the What Did You Do With The Money From This Payer? screen, select the appropriate response.

6. If you select I rolled over all of this money to another IRA...., your IRA will not be taxed.

If you choose not to use the "Jump to" feature:

1. Log on to TurboTax.
  2. Click on the Take me to my return button.
  3. On the left navigation bar, click on Federal.
  4. Click on the Wages & Income tab.
  5. Edit/Add the 1099-R.
  6. Continue with the onscreen interview until you get to the What Did You Do With The Money From This Payer? screen, select the appropriate response.
  7. If you select I rolled over all of this money to another IRA...., your IRA will not be taxed.

Related information:

[Edited 3-11-2020|12:56 pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hudcrab

What Did You Do With The Money From This Payer? screen does not show.  It doesn't give the opportunity to say that the money was rolled into an IRA annuity

dmertz
Level 15

hudcrab, you probably did a direct rollover, reported with code G automatically indicates a rollover.  Just indicate that you did not roll it over to any type of Roth account.

However, if you received a code 4 Form 1099-R reporting a distribution from a 401(k) inherited as a non-spouse beneficiary, this distribution was not eligible for rollover.  A 401(k) inherited by a non-spouse beneficiary can only be moved to an IRA by direct rollover, reported with codes 4 and G together.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies