turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Enter Prior Year Roth IRA Contributions - Roth IRA Contributions prior to 2020

The "Learn More" example in this section appears to me to be correct. However, the prompt "Roth IRA Contributions prior to 2020" is misleading in my case. Here's why. I contributed $24,799 to my Roth IRA in years 2013-2019 (this is the total amount including contributions from all of these years). In 2020, I contributed an additional $3,000 (new grand total for contributions is $27,799), after which I took a distribution of $27,500 (in the year 2020). The way this prompt is worded (Roth IRA Contributions PRIOR to 2020), I should enter "$24,799". However, if I do that, then I will be paying an early withdrawal penalty on $2,701 ($27,500-$24,799). This is not correct though since I contributed $27,799 prior to withdrawing $27,500. I am only withdrawing from my contributions, not from earnings. There should be no penalty. The prompt should instead ask me to enter my total contributions up to 2020 and including 2020 ($27,799), but only up to my withdrawal date. Right? The example seems to show it this way, but the prompt seems to suggest otherwise. ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It asks for you "prior" year (before 2020) contributions.   2020 contributions are entered in the IRA contribution interview and will be applied to the total contributions.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

A Roth IRA contribution does not actually go on a tax return, but you should enter it anyway to:

1) Tell you if your income qualifies you for a contribution and warn you if it does not.
2) Check if your income exceeds the limit to contribute to a Roth.
3) Track your contribution year-to-year if you use TurboTax every year.
4) Add the Retirement Savers Credit if you qualify.Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,

OR Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

12 Replies

It asks for you "prior" year (before 2020) contributions.   2020 contributions are entered in the IRA contribution interview and will be applied to the total contributions.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,

A Roth IRA contribution does not actually go on a tax return, but you should enter it anyway to:

1) Tell you if your income qualifies you for a contribution and warn you if it does not.
2) Check if your income exceeds the limit to contribute to a Roth.
3) Track your contribution year-to-year if you use TurboTax every year.
4) Add the Retirement Savers Credit if you qualify.Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

A similar question - about the description of the "learn more" line, specifically, "Confirm net regular contributions prior to 2020 that "remain" in the Roth IRA".  I had 10,500 in total contributions to the Roth in prior years (before 2020), and in 2020 made distributions of 11,500.  No other distributions prior to 2020 were made.  Do I answer the question as 10,500 or 0, since no regular contributions remain in the Roth at 12/31/2020?  Only the gains remain at this time.

dmertz
Level 15

$10,500, the amount of contribution basis that carried into 2020 from the prior years.

cempdx51

Do I enter ALL contributions in history of the IRA in this  box?

@cempdx51 wrote:

Do I enter ALL contributions in history of the IRA in this  box?

It depends on which box you are referring to that the type of IRA, Traditional or Roth.

cempdx51

I was referring only to a Roth IRA, with personal deposits, no rollover.  thanks!

You can always withdraw your own Roth contributions tax and penalty free.

One of the followup questions will ask for your prior year** contributions not previously withdrawn. Those contributions that still remain in the Roth will not be taxed or subject to a early withdrawal penalty. That will add a 8606 form to your tax return with the Roth contribution and tax calculation in part III.

Note: **Prior year - any current year Roth contributions should be entered into the IRA contributions section. They will not show up in the prior years contributions but will be accounted for on the 8606 form that calculates the taxable amount.

MsWillow

So, I get this question because I withdrew for 2 years and then deposited for 2020 and 2021. I was over 60 when I did my withdrawals. I've had this account since 2000 and may have covered traditional funds along the way. I don't have every contribution back 20 years and my bank only goes back 10 years. How do I answer this question?

@MsWillow wrote:

So, I get this question because I withdrew for 2 years and then deposited for 2020 and 2021. I was over 60 when I did my withdrawals. I've had this account since 2000 and may have covered traditional funds along the way. I don't have every contribution back 20 years and my bank only goes back 10 years. How do I answer this question?

If over age 59 1/2 then there is no penalty so you can just enter zero.   Your 1099-R should have a box 7 code Q or T.

I am tagging along in this discussion because my Roth has been open for at least 20 years. I don't have a realistic way to find out all of my contributions. Do I really need to do this? Thank you.

If you are age 59 1/2 or older it does not matter and you can enter zero.

If younger then not if you do not enter it then then it could be subject to some tax.

Whew, I am glad I am 61. Thank you so much!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies