turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Don't have wifes social security number

need wifes social security number but she won't give it to  me
how can i get past this on my taxes.  We are filing seperate
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

When a married couple  files separately you BOTH need to reference the other person  so if you cannot get the number from them or anywhere else you will need to enter a fake SS# in the program like 456-45-6456 and choose to mail in the return. On the paper copy you will have to erase the fake number and enter REFUSED. 

@Critter-3 wrote:

When a married couple  files separately you BOTH need to reference the other person  so if you cannot get the number from them or anywhere else you will need to enter a fake SS# in the program like 456-45-6456 and choose to mail in the return. On the paper copy you will have to erase the fake number and enter REFUSED. 

I believe you must also attach a written statement giving your spouse's full name, last known address, and any other identifying information that you know (like birth date), so the IRS can find your spouse in the system and match returns. 

Carl
Level 15

Another option is to refer this to legal counsel. When a married couple files separate, they are required to provide their SSN to the other. Failure to do so can result in penalties being assessed by the IRS to the spouse (or ex spouse) that refuses.  Sometimes, all it takes is for a lawyer to explain this, and the problem goes away.

Do you have any prior Joint tax returns or other documents that list her SSN?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies