Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rdm12744

Does it matter that the Turbo Tax Premier version shows LTCG for box 8a and the 2019 form is 9a?

I don't think I am being taxed on my LTCG. I am getting a larger than expected refund and don't think I should. Since I can't see the return without filing I don't know.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Does it matter that the Turbo Tax Premier version shows LTCG for box 8a and the 2019 form is 9a?

How do I preview my TurboTax Online return before filing?

You can view your entire return or just your 1040 form before you e-file:

1. Open or continue your return.
  2. Select Tax Tools in the left menu (if you don't see this, select the menu icon in the upper-left corner).
  3. With the Tax Tools menu open, you can then:
    • Select Print Center and then Print, Save, or Preview This Year's Return to preview your entire return, including all forms and worksheets (you may be asked to register or pay first).

View only your 1040 form by selecting Tools. Next, select View Tax Summary in the pop-up, then Preview my 1040 in the left menu

rdm12744

Thanks for the comment

It still wants me to pay, which I prefer not to do without knowing if the return is correct or not. Hence the question about 8a versus 9a on the K-1

dmertz
Level 15

You seem to be confusing Schedule K-1 (Form 1120S) from an S corp which would show LTCG in box 8a and Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) from a partnership which would show LTCG in box 9a.  You must select the correct type of Schedule K-1 in TurboTax, which would be Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) from a partnership if the Schedule K-1 that you have has LTCG in box 9a.

rdm12744

The answer about the K-1 is, it doesn't matter, at least on my 1040. It applied the  on the form, and I surmise calculated the percentage for LTCG. And, I got a much bigger refund than planned. I fully expected to owe money.

Until you actually LOOK at the return to see what is happening and how the return is being calculated you really  cannot know the answer to your question ... you will need to pay the TT fees eventually when you file so why not do so now so you can quit guessing ... we cannot even help you without information on the forms. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies