Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

COVID relief 401k early withdrawal

I get this as well. 

Phone support wasn't much help-there's obviously a glitch still...new forms, so will just have to give it a week or so and check it again? 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

When you filed the 8915-E last year, you had to enter the disaster information.  It is required per Form 8915-F- Internal Revenue Service. You can look on last year's return for the information to enter or you can locate your FEMA information using this IRS tool.

@gweingart

@kjblack

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jh2k
Level 2

DianeW777, the update addressed the questions and allowed me to finish the tax return. Thanks. 🙂

jh2k
Level 2

DianeW777, I did this and not a glitch. Thanks again. 😄

@AmyC , this is/was for Covid, not a FEMA declared disaster (like a storm or something). I don’t believe there is a FEMA code for the Covid relief-there are just the boxes to check next to those areas to specify it was for Covid.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You will need your Form 8915-E from your 2020 return.

In the interview, after you enter your 1099-R's for 2021, you are asked about a 'prior year' disaster distribution. 

When you indicate you had a 'covid related' distribution (check box), the screen opens up with amounts to enter from your 2020 Form 8915-E. 

@gweingart

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I deleted my 2021 1099-R and that fixed the problem since I did not receive a 1099-R for 2021, only 2020. Then check the received corona virus disaster relief box. All checked error free from there.

rbooya
Returning Member

Filled out that screen. Answered the rest of the section. No other distributions. Finish the section and it returns to the wages & income screen but still says needs review under 401k. What am I doing wrong? I used the 8915E figures from the 2021 return. 

I walked through it with someone through Intuit. Still wasn’t showing in my 401k portion so we checked my 1040 and the income included it so it was good to go.

You're likely not doing anything wrong. I think it's a glitch. Same thing with mine, continually said "needs review." Under "tax tools" in the left hand side of the screen, go to "tax summary." Then on the left hand side look for "preview 1040" (or something like that). Then check to see if the amount that you need to pay back this year (should be the same amount as on your 8915E from last year if the distribution you took was in 2020) was added to your income. If so, you should be in good shape. If you're still unsure, continue all the way through the review until it gets to the part where you can download or view your tax return before filing (don't worry, you still haven't paid at this point, or filed). Mine wouldn't let me view them on the pop-up screen, but it did download it to my PC as a pdf and I was able to scroll down and see that it had been included in my income and that there was an 8915 form included with the correct amount. Since it was showing everything correctly, I went ahead and e-filed, and both fed and state were accepted shortly after. I hope this helps as I was utterly confused as well!

LMLC
Level 2

Is it ready now? I can't find Covid relief on the drop-down menu for disasters. How do I enter my second year amount???

LMLC
Level 2

Annnd, just as I sent this I found it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies