turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I access practice forms to determine the best 401k distribution vs my social security taxability?

I would like to check the tax Social Security benefits as affected by the amount of a 401k distribution. Would like access to practice forms to run various 401k amounts and how they affect the tax on my SS.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I access practice forms to determine the best 401k distribution vs my social security taxability?

The Online web versions open in early December.  You can set up more than 1 account to do practice returns or just use the same account.  But be sure not to file any of them except for the real return when you are done.

If you buy the CD/Download Desktop program you can do unlimited returns so you can test different amounts.  The desktop program is available now here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/ 

The CD/Download program has many advantages over the Online version.  But you need a full Windows or Mac computer to install it.  

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The CD/Download TurboTax software also has a What-If Worksheet that makes it very fast and easy to do the kind of experimenting that you are talking about, and it doesn't affect your actual tax return. It works something like a spreadsheet. TurboTax will initially fill in the information from your tax return. Then you can change the 401(k) distribution amount and immediately see what happens to the taxable Social Security and the amount of tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies