turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lschiano9
Returning Member

Am I responsible for a 10% tax on early IRA distribution, if I use funds to pay for my non-dependent child's qualified higher education expenses?

My child files a separate income tax return
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Am I responsible for a 10% tax on early IRA distribution, if I use funds to pay for my non-dependent child's qualified higher education expenses?

See page 25 here,

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p590b.pdf

You can be exempted from the 10% penalty for higher education expenses you pay for yourself, your spouse, or your children and grandchildren (but not other kinds of dependents).  Eligible expenses include tuition, required fees, and room and board.  If the child lives off-campus, your eligible room and board is what the college would have charged for on-campus housing, or the actual cost of rent, food and utilities, whichever is less.   You reduce the eligible expenses by the amount of any scholarships, grants, or other tax-free tuition assistance. 

You still have to pay the regular income tax on the distribution. 

lschiano9
Returning Member

Thank you! Will I only then be responsible for federal and state income tax related to the amount of the early IRA distribution?

@lschiano9 wrote:

Thank you! Will I only then be responsible for federal and state income tax related to the amount of the early IRA distribution?

Right.  When you file your 1099-R, turbotax will note that you are under age 59-1/2 and will ask if any exceptions apply.  Select higher education.  You don't need to submit proof to the IRS (like tuition bills) when you file, but keep your proof for 6 years in case of audit. 

lschiano9
Returning Member

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies