Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RT50

8606 Non Deductible IRA to Roth Conversion

I converted 8606 Non-deductible IRA to Roth IRA in 2020.  In the IRA information worksheet, Part I, Traditional IRA Basis and Value, line 1 and 2 are correctly tracked by TurboTax.  Line 3, Basis carryover as of 12/31/2020 is only about 44% of the amount of line 2, YE value on 12/31/2020.  Shouldn't line 3 equals line 2, since no conversion or withdraw had been done previously.  Taxes were paid for line 2 amount and should be the cost basis to calculate taxable amount (i.e. investment earnings) in the conversion.  This caused the overstatement of IRA distribution taxable amount by 56%.  Please help.  Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@RT50 wrote:

I converted 8606 Non-deductible IRA to Roth IRA in 2020.  In the IRA information worksheet, Part I, Traditional IRA Basis and Value, line 1 and 2 are correctly tracked by TurboTax.  Line 3, Basis carryover as of 12/31/2020 is only about 44% of the amount of line 2, YE value on 12/31/2020.  Shouldn't line 3 equals line 2, since no conversion or withdraw had been done previously.  Taxes were paid for line 2 amount and should be the cost basis to calculate taxable amount (i.e. investment earnings) in the conversion.  This caused the overstatement of IRA distribution taxable amount by 56%.  Please help.  Thanks. 

Those calculations are done on the 8606 form.     The carry-forward basis will be on the 8606 line 14.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Per @macuser_22:

"This so-called “back-door Roth” method ONLY works if you have NO OTHER Traditional IRA accounts.  If you do, then the non-deductible part must be spread over ALL accounts and cannot be withdrawn by itself.  Only if you started with NO Traditional, SEP & SIMPLE IRA and ended up with a zero amount in ALL Traditional, SEP & SIMPLE IRA accounts will this Roth conversion not be taxable."

Since we can't see your tax return in this forum, click this link for more info on Non-Deductible IRA to Roth Conversion that may help you.

You can also request a Line by Line Review if you need more help. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
RT50

This is the only IRA account I have.

@RT50 wrote:

Those calculations are done on the 8606 form.     The carry-forward basis will be on the 8606 line 14.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
RT50

Fixed, thanks for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies