Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

roch1974
Returning Member

401(k) withdrawal

I'm eligible (under 50) and am looking to make a general, early withdrawal of $25K, aware of the tax consequences.

My company already includes an amount of $31K in the form to proceed to account for taxes, fees, penalties.

I'm in the 22% tax rate bracket.

Approximately, how much will I owe come tax-return season?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

401(k) withdrawal

The full amount 31,000 will be taxable to you.  It will add to your income and may push you into a higher tax bracket.  You also will owe the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty on the full 31,000.   Then you will get credit for the withholding taken out.

dmertz
Level 15

401(k) withdrawal

The plan withheld the mandatory 20% of the distribution for taxes.  If this is taxed at a marginal income tax rate of 22% and you add to that the 10% early-distribution penalty, the 20% withheld will be 12% short of covering the increase in your tax liability caused by the distribution.

I'm guessing that your gross distribution was $31,250 for the plan to be able to send $25,000 to you.  Given the assumptions, your increase in tax liability from the distribution is $10,000, only $6,250 of which is covered by the withholding on the distribution.  After you pay the balance due, your $31,250 distribution will have netted you $21,250 (without considering any state taxes).

401(k) withdrawal

don't forget about state taxes.......in your determination of whether you will owe $$$ or not. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies