Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R Issues

I have 2 1099R forms for a rollover of a retirement account.  Both show a taxable amount of $0.00.  One shows G and one shows H for the type of distribution.  Both should be non-taxable but TurboTax is listing it as income.  Is this a bug (and if so any idea when it will be fixed)?  I've put everything in just as it is on the forms and I've verified it was a non-taxable rollover.  I need to get this figured out since adding it to my income is giving me a large amount owed and should not be.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

1099R Issues

JohnR6 has provided an incorrect suggestion.

These Forms 1099-R are required to be reported on your tax return.  You must not remove them.

These distributions constitute income under the law, but they are not taxable income.  Confirm proper reporting by seeing that the gross amounts of both are included on Form 1040 line 4c but both are excluded from the taxable amount on line 4d and that the word ROLLOVER is shown next to line 4d.  Anything other than that and the IRS will likely question your tax return.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

1099R Issues

Since I know and can prove the money was never issued to me and the check was written to my investment company, I am thinking of deleting this entry altogether.

1099R Issues

That's what I may have to do.  Would prefer TurboTax would just fix the glitch.  That error is the difference between me owing $1,900 and getting a refund.

Rich_Smol

1099R Issues

I have received a 1099-R distrubition from my old 401K that I rolled over into my traditional IRA. For some reason Turbo Tax is adding it my income.  

dmertz
Level 15

1099R Issues

JohnR6 has provided an incorrect suggestion.

These Forms 1099-R are required to be reported on your tax return.  You must not remove them.

These distributions constitute income under the law, but they are not taxable income.  Confirm proper reporting by seeing that the gross amounts of both are included on Form 1040 line 4c but both are excluded from the taxable amount on line 4d and that the word ROLLOVER is shown next to line 4d.  Anything other than that and the IRS will likely question your tax return.

jimakin11

1099R Issues

I had same problem. My IRA sent me a distribution when we don't have to take distribution because of Covid. I requested they take it back as a rollover which they did. Then they sent me a 1099R which showed the distribution and a form 5498 which showed the amount returned and as a rollover.  The walk thru of 1099Rs ask if this was a rollover which I check Yes. However, the rollover amount does not show up on the 1099R Summery work sheet and the distribution amount showed up as taxable income on Line 5a of my 1040-SR. This is a bug in their system.  To fix this I went to the 1099R Summary work sheet and manually entered the rollover amount in line 1a which then created a 0 Balance of gross distributions in line 2 and 0 Taxable in Line 20a

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies