Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R for non-residents

Hi. I'm looking for advice on how to file my mom's taxes. She's not a US citizen and is non-resident in the US. She briefly worked in the US a long time ago and had 2 retirement accounts that she just closed last year. The money was transferred to a joint account in both our names. She's currently retired with no income. She received 2 1099R forms for the accounts she closed last year. I'm looking for advice on how to file her taxes as there were amounts on her accounts that were withheld for taxes. Does she need to file just the federal taxes? Any special procedures for non-US citizens or non-residents? She's using my address in MA to get mail, does she need to file for state taxes if she doesn't live here? Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

1099R for non-residents

She will need to file a form 1040NR as opposed to a form 1040 since she is not a citizen or resident. You can't do that in TurboTax but you can use Sprintax to do it:  Sprintax  She won't need to file a state tax return unless she was a resident of or received income from a source in a state during 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

1099R for non-residents

She will need to file a form 1040NR as opposed to a form 1040 since she is not a citizen or resident. You can't do that in TurboTax but you can use Sprintax to do it:  Sprintax  She won't need to file a state tax return unless she was a resident of or received income from a source in a state during 2023.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies