turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-R IRA distribution beneficiary box 12a

This section keeps "needing my review" 

On my hard copy 1099-R form I received in the mail I don't have a 12a box. I only have a 12 box which is "FATCA filing requirement" and the box is not checked. I have a dollar amount in box 1 "gross distribution". I also have a dollar amount in box 14 witch is less then the amount in box 1. 

Now on Turbo Tax "Check this Entry" 

"Form 1099-R (Wells Fargo Clearing Services, LLC): Box 12a For electronic filing, New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution. " Then it says box 12a is the same dollar amount that is in box 14 which is way less than the gross distribution. 

I don't know what to do because I don't have a 12a box on my hard copy. When I delete the amount in box 12a on my computer it drops by state refund down by $693!! 

Please HELP 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

@amandaf730 wrote:

This section keeps "needing my review" 

On my hard copy 1099-R form I received in the mail I don't have a 12a box. I only have a 12 box which is "FATCA filing requirement" and the box is not checked. I have a dollar amount in box 1 "gross distribution". I also have a dollar amount in box 14 witch is less then the amount in box 1. 

Now on Turbo Tax "Check this Entry" 

"Form 1099-R (Wells Fargo Clearing Services, LLC): Box 12a For electronic filing, New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution. " Then it says box 12a is the same dollar amount that is in box 14 which is way less than the gross distribution. 

I don't know what to do because I don't have a 12a box on my hard copy. When I delete the amount in box 12a on my computer it drops by state refund down by $693!! 

Please HELP 

The IRS added 2 boxes the the 1099-R form  for 2020.   The old box 12-14 are now box 14-16.     Evidently TurboTax has not changed the wording in the error message to reflect the new box numbers.    It should say that box 14 cannot be greater then box 16.     Simply a labeling issue.

Just make box 16 the same a box 1 to fix it - this is a NY software issue.

NOTE: prior to 2020 the state tax was in boxes 12-14, 2020 renumbered those boxes to 14-16.

Box 16 is not usually required because it has been an 1099-R industrial standard for many years that if there is only one state in box 14 & 15 then the box 1 amount does not need to be allocated between two states - the entire box 1 amount is understood to be the state distribution so box 16 is just left blank.

But recently, there are at least two states (one being NY) that will reject 1099-R's with a state tax and a blank box 16 so it is okay to enter the box 1 amount into box 16 to satisfy the states requirement.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Followed these instructions and filled in Box 16 with the information in Box 1. New York state rejected it anyway.

I have no clue what to do now and Turbo Tax doesn't seem to have a clue either. 🙄

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

macuser_22 is correct.  The error message should say that box 14 (state tax withheld) cannot be greater then box 16 (the state distribution).  

Enter the following in Box 16:

• If Box 14 shows State Tax withheld, enter the amount in Box 1 (gross distribution);
  • If Box 14 is blank or zero no state tax was withheld leave Boxes 14, 15 and 16 blank.

@Layne24  What error message did you receive?

The only message I seem to be able to find is:

Description of error:
We've identified a potential issue in your New York tax return due to an error in our software.
Then there is a long and repetitious page that doesn't really tell me how to fix it.

Thanks for help!

@Layne24 wrote:

The only message I seem to be able to find is:

Description of error:
We've identified a potential issue in your New York tax return due to an error in our software.
Then there is a long and repetitious page that doesn't really tell me how to fix it.

Thanks for help!

Did you read my post above?   If this is NY and there is an dollar amount in box 14 then make box 16 the same as box 1. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I did that when I filed originally after researching the problem and New York rejected it.

What is the exact reject message - could be a different reason?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies