Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jsreedy
Returning Member

1099-R form issue

I took out $85K from my IRA before I was 59 and a half in January, 2020, but returned it all in February 2020, 5 weeks after the withdrawal in case my house didn't sell. Well my house sold and I deposited the money back in my account. However, my 1099-R shows it as an Early Distribution, code 1, and I didn't pay any taxes because I planned on returning the money to my account. When I enter it in my Turbo Tax for 1099-R, I have nowhere to adjust the amount, because I didn't keep the funds. I did make a withdrawal in November after I was 59 and a half and paid taxes. but I have no way to list it as an exception, or reconcile the funds I didn't keep. What should I do? I have statements showing I returned the money, do I attach those with my 1099-R forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

1099-R form issue

That is a rollover within the 60 days allowed.

Delete the 1099-R and re-enter.  When is asks what you did with the money say you "moved" it to another (or same) account.   Then say it was all rolled over.

The 1040 line 4b should be zero with the word "ROLLOVER" next to it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jsreedy
Returning Member

1099-R form issue

So on the 1099-R form I send to the IRS, scratch thru it with a red line and write "ROLLOVER" on it before sending it in to the IRS and don't include it, of course, as a gross distribution or taxable amount, Boxes 1 and 2, in the program as a distribution from the IRA?

1099-R form issue

No.    TurboTax will put it there when entered as I said.   If it does  not then you entered it incorrectly.  Or the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on your 1099-R is not checked.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jsreedy
Returning Member

1099-R form issue

Yes, that box is checked on my 1099-R

1099-R form issue

@jsreedy wrote:

Yes, that box is checked on my 1099-R

Then what is the problem?    What is on the 1040 form line 4b?

jsreedy
Returning Member

1099-R form issue

I haven't gotten that far yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies