Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

1099-R Box 14a for efiling New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution (nothing in box 16 on my form).

Round up box 1 and round down box 14.

@schuckb

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
schuckb
Returning Member

1099-R Box 14a for efiling New York State withholdings can not be greater than or equal to gross distribution or state distribution (nothing in box 16 on my form).

Thanks, bbrafman.  Changing it by $1 worked.  I tried changing it by 1 cent earlier, but I didn't consider that the software may be rounding.  My return may be reduced by $1, that that is fine.  It saves me a world of headaches.

Thanks again  🙂

schuckb
Returning Member

Thanks also, FangxiaL.  I'm sure that would have worked too.  I appreciate your reply.

Sincerely, schuckb

mg1949

I solved this problem today.  My 2021 return had 3 1099-R forms entered.  This year my retirement company issued only two such forms.  I "amended" forms 1 and 2 with the 2022 info, and always got the error when trying to file.  Today, I went back and "deleted" form #3, which I had neglected because I only had 2 forms this year, and immediately was able to file my NYS return successfully.  So if you are in this situation here is what worked for me.

2 seconds ago

2 seconds ago

I solved this problem today.  My 2021 return had 3 "1099-R" forms entered.  This year my retirement company issued only two such forms.  I had already "amended" forms 1 and 2 with the 2022 info, and always got the error when trying to file.  Today, I went back and "deleted" form #3 (which I had neglected because I only had 2 forms this year) and immediately was able to file my NYS return successfully.  So if you are in this situation here is what worked for me.

This information was very helpful and fix my issue. Thank you

Joe S13

Thank you! I entered the Gross distribution from Box 1 into Box 16 State distribution and was able to complete and e-file my return. I had this same problem last year and got so frustrated that I just mailed my returns. Thanks again!

dssommers

On 1099-R box 1 & 14 have amounts but box 16 doesn’t thus not allowing to electronic submission.  I keyed in box 16 the same amount as in box 1 is that correct and let me submit electronically.

BOX 16 will not take a letter such as NY it's wants a number

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Box 16 is for the amount of the state distribution. If there is no state tax withheld in box 14,  you can leave boxes 14, 15 and 16 blank. Your state will tax the income imported from your Federal return.

jeroen17

It solved the loop by adding the box 1 number in box 16. 

wmszabo

The 1099R that I received do not have a box 14a. Turbo tax is asking me to enter that information  to file my New York State return.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Box 14(a) on a form 1099-R would be your state tax withheld. If you have no entry in that box and TurboTax is requesting an entry, then you should enter $0. @wmszabo  

mgrizzle

Thanks.  After entering the amount from box 1 into box 16 also it worked. I hope Turbo tax fixes this.

This worked! Using Turbo Tax for years, never had this problem. Thanks for your help!

dlbrook

In my case, box 16 was blank (although the NY distribution should have been the same as the federal), and box 14 was blank (there was no state withholding.

I filled in 0.00 in box 14 -- not accepted.

I added the NY distribution (same as the federal, even though left out in the 1099-R.  STILL WOULD NOT FILE.

I then came here to search for a solution, to what appeared to be a TURBOTAX BUG (why would it not accept a zero withholding with a much greater NYS distribution, saying that the withholding could not be greater or equal to the NYS distribution??

Well, I went back and tried AGAIN (after doing exactly the same thing at least a dozen times), --AND THIS TIME IT FILED!   

I guess the moral to my story is "try, try again," even though the problem appears to be a TURBOTAX bug, refusing to file when all the boxes were correctly filled out (0.00 withholding, a correct NYS distribution and a correct NYS code number in box 15).  

I guess it just got tired of complaining and filed it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies