Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cba002

Pension withdrawal new

I have my wife's pension from a previous job I am entering in and she began receiving it in June 2016. The dollar amount is $1605.75 in gross distribution for the year and $175 in income tax. When I enter the information it is costing me $900 in taxes. Am I doing something wrong? This does not sound correct.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Pension withdrawal new

Make sure you are entering the 1099R correctly.  It is not a W-2.  Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Pension withdrawal new

Make sure you are entering the 1099R correctly.  It is not a W-2.  Go to  Federal> Wages and Income>Retirement Plans and Social Security to enter your 1099R.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

Pension withdrawal new

Although a $900 increase in taxes as a result of entering this seems a bit high, it's not out of the question.  Perhaps the distribution is increasing that amount of Social Security income that is subject to tax and the distribution is also resulting in a reduction in some sort of tax credit.

Compare your Form 1040 with and without this Form 1099-R entered to see specifically how this distribution is affecting your tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies