Solved: Pension W-4

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TJ5211
Level 1

Pension W-4

I'm applying for my retirement and trying to figure out the W-4 form they sent me. I'm also in the process of Social Security Disability Benefits and my wife is still working. Not sure what we should do on our W-4's.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ErnieS0
Employee Tax Expert

Pension W-4

Use our W-4 Withholding Calculator or the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator to help fill out your W-4s.

Generally, it’s a good idea to have some amount of tax withheld from a pension (and possibly Social Security) to avoid a big tax bill plus interest and penalties for underpaying tax.

Pensions are taxable and Social Security benefits are partly taxable if one-half of your benefits, plus (2) all of your other income, including tax-exempt interest, is greater than $32,000 if married filing joint.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Employee Tax Expert

Pension W-4

Use our W-4 Withholding Calculator or the IRS Tax Withholding Estimator to help fill out your W-4s.

Generally, it’s a good idea to have some amount of tax withheld from a pension (and possibly Social Security) to avoid a big tax bill plus interest and penalties for underpaying tax.

Pensions are taxable and Social Security benefits are partly taxable if one-half of your benefits, plus (2) all of your other income, including tax-exempt interest, is greater than $32,000 if married filing joint.

View solution in original post

TJ5211
Level 1

Pension W-4

Thanks, It seemed like the one from the IRS site worked best for my situation.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings