turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

On my 1099R, block 7 it says "2-non-disability". That is not one of my choices in Turbotax. As a result, I think I am being overtaxed. What to put in that block?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On my 1099R, block 7 it says "2-non-disability". That is not one of my choices in Turbotax. As a result, I think I am being overtaxed. What to put in that block?

With a blank box 2a and a 9b amount you are required to use the simplified method to determine the taxable amount.   If this is not the first year to receive the pension, use the 2017 tax return CSA 1099-R simplifies method worksheet as a guide.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

10 Replies

You enter a 2 in box 7 of the Form 1099-R.  For some reason OPM enters non-disability as part of the code which does not conform to IRS rules.

then my choice becomes early distribution.  I have met the standards for retirement.  Perhaps because I have other sources of income, I get taxed at a higher level.

Code 2 is Early distribution, exception applies (under age 59½.  So you are not being assessed the 10% early distribution penalty.  The taxable amount of the distribution is entered on your tax return as ordinary income and added to your other income, taxed at your current tax rate.

then, a few screens later, I get a choice between (1) moving it to another retirement account or (2) did something else with it (cash out).  This confuses me because the annuity is not tied to my either my 401K or my TSP.  

What is in box 2a?
What is in box 9b?

If this is a CSA 1099-R, did you choose the CSA type on the first "Choose 1099-R Type" screen?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

the 1099 R I received did not have a 2a.  Just 2.  9b has my total employee contribution

I did not see where I could choose the 1099-R Type.  

When you first access the section for entering a 1099-R, the screen has 4 choices for you select the type of 1099-R you are reporting.
1099-R
CSA-1099-R
CSF-1099-R
RRB-1099-R

I started over and double checked.  I used CSA-1099-R.  Same answer.  I may play around with this.

With a blank box 2a and a 9b amount you are required to use the simplified method to determine the taxable amount.   If this is not the first year to receive the pension, use the 2017 tax return CSA 1099-R simplifies method worksheet as a guide.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies