turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cklos5567

Where do I enter 403(b) rollover to traditional IRA; options in "1099-R Entries" are to Roth 401k, 403b, IRA only, not Traditional IRA

details were provided above, TurboTax does not seem to allow entries regarding rollover from 403b to "Traditional" IRA.  Where or how do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Where do I enter 403(b) rollover to traditional IRA; options in "1099-R Entries" are to Roth 401k, 403b, IRA only, not Traditional IRA

To report the rollover properly from this code G Form 1099-R, TurboTax only needs to know that the rollover was not to any type of Roth account.  There is no need to explicitly indicate that it went to a traditional IRA.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

To report the rollover properly from this code G Form 1099-R, TurboTax only needs to know that the rollover was not to any type of Roth account.  There is no need to explicitly indicate that it went to a traditional IRA.

magarian

Why does code G distribution on 1099-R from 403b to IRA cause AGI to increase?  This increases AGI above deductible limits ($118k) for IRA Contribution for 2016.
dmertz
Level 15

AGI should only increase if the direct rollover is to a Roth account, indicated by a nonzero amount in box 2a of the Form 1099-R.

Box 2a should not be blank.  If box 2a is blank and box 2b Taxable amount not determined is not marked, enter a zero in box 2a.
magarian

Box 2a is blank and 2B Taxable Amount is blank and 2b Total Distribution has an X.
magarian

Thanks for prompt reply.  Rdm
magarian

So why does MAGI increase with this 403b rollover to an IRA?
magarian

Shouldn't MAGI also be reduced by rolling moneys into the IRA?
dmertz
Level 15

This rollover does not increase MAGI.  Enter a zero in box 2a of TurboTax's 1099-R form.
magarian

On Fed Tax Summary, "Your Total Income" still includes the 403b distribution.

The Review and Summary screens add everything as income.  You have to check the actual 1040 for the taxable amount.  It should say ROLLOVER by line 16b

To preview your Online return, go to My Account at the top.  Then Tools, then View Tax summary.  Then you can click on Preview My 1040 at the top. OR click Review near the top of your screen, and then click Summary right below it.  Then Near the bottom of the We Guarantee Your Maximum Refund screen, click the Preview Return link.
magarian

dmertz and VolvoGirl thanks for the clarifications.   I guess we need to make contributions to Roth IRA instead of IRA.  It will simplify (eliminate) Non-deductible contributions issue with IRA.  Thanks again.
dmertz
Level 15

By that I assume that you mean that you have found that your MAGI for making a deductible traditional IRA contribution is too high, but your MAGI for making a Roth IRA contribution is not too high.
magarian

Yup.  So is it possible to do a conversion of the IRA 2016 contribution into a Roth IRA now? in 2017? or does it have to be done in 2016?
dmertz
Level 15

You can convert to Roth whenever you want.  The conversion is taxable income in whatever year the conversion is performed.  A conversion now would therefore be reportable on your 2017 tax return.  With a potentially significant amount having been rolled over to an IRA from the 401(k), the conversion may be largely taxable, including only a small portion of your basis in nondeductible contributions.  If you are eligible to make a Roth IRA contribution, you would likely be better off do that than making a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution and later converting to Roth.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies