turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is turbo tax defining the contribution limit to a SEP IRA as $6500 ? in the past it was calulated as a maximum 20% of self employed income

My wife is self employed, age 57, and contributed $24,000 to her SEP IRA in 2017 that was full adjusted for the AGI. Using Turbo Tax for 2018, it says her limit is $6500. What changed in the tax code OR is Turbo Tax not treating SEP IRA's properly now.   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
dave12

Why is turbo tax defining the contribution limit to a SEP IRA as $6500 ? in the past it was calulated as a maximum 20% of self employed income

$6500 is the limit for deductible contribution to a traditional IRA in 2018 for individuals 50 years old or older. Are you entering the contribution as part of business section (shows up on the Keogh/SEP/etc worksheet), or the personal section (shows up on the IRA worksheet)? In step-by-step for “personal”, TT asked me about contributions to “Traditional IRAs”. I answered (correctly, IMO, since SEP IRAs *are* considered traditional IRAs) with the amount I contributed to my SEP IRA, and this caused TT to apply non-SEP limitations, and create a form 8606 for non-deductible contributions. The solution was to enter 0 in that section. The AGI reduction should show up on your schedule 1 as a SEP adjustment, not an IRA deduction.  

dmertz
Level 15

Nothing has changed in the tax code or in TurboTax with regard to entering SEP contributions.

TurboTax's Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions section under Deductions & Credits asks for your regular *personal* contributions to traditional IRAs.  However, SEP contributions are employer contributions, not regular personal contributions, so they are *not* to be entered under Deductions & Credits.  A self-employed SEP contribution is instead entered in the Self-employed retirement section explicitly as a SEP contribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies