turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gilbert1

Help! My 2018 Excess 401(k) Contribution is Preventing e-File on Turbo Tax Online. Federal Return checker says that the amount on my W2 exceeds the 18500 allowed.

I can't efile because the federal return checker says that my 401k contribution amounts are more than allowed. I've corrected the excess deferral using this though: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4624497-i-switched-jobs-in-2018-and-over-contributed-to-my-401k-i-...

Please help! I should definitely be able to efile this return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Help! My 2018 Excess 401(k) Contribution is Preventing e-File on Turbo Tax Online. Federal Return checker says that the amount on my W2 exceeds the 18500 allowed.

You have taken the right steps including the excess deferral on your 2018 Tax Return.

At this point, I think you are running into an e-filing issue within TurboTax.  An update to fix the issue is expected to be released around 4/5/2019.  You can check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing.

Be sure to sign up for updates to be alerted as soon as there is a solution.  If you do not want to wait for an update, you have the option to paper file your tax returns as this is only an e-filing issue.

dianna-vo

Has this been fixed?
mpp1

Apparently not.  I just fell afoul of it today (in TurboTax Online, per this thread;  the FAQ cited above and the various other discussions about this aren't always clear whether they pertain to TurboTax Online, or to the desktop fat-client versions, or to both).  Either way...  aaargh.
zhw1004

Today is April 10. This bug is not fixed yet. I definitely need to e-file this year. Please help!!
Fred-H-

Has this issue been fixed yet?
mpp1

Not even faintly (unless it has magically changed since I tried last night).  Today I admitted defeat and snail-mailed my returns (both Federal and State, since once TurboTax disabled E-file for Federal it also did so for California).  I particularly like (NOT) the way that all this only really became clear after TurboTax had charged my credit card.  At this point I am, er, definitely not a satisfied customer.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies