Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Twilight Zone in the 2019 Amend Return workflow in TT?

Something extremely strange happened in TT Online. I'm a web developer so I'm pretty sure I'm seeing this right.

1. In May I used TT  online to file my 2019 taxes. I have the PDF output from that.
  2. In real life, my business accountant noticed in the PDF that my return for 2019 showed $0 mortgage interest deduction on Schedule A.
  3. I logged into TurboTax and found the Amend return action for 2019.
  4. Somehow (a glitch I think) I found myself back inside the main UI, as if I hadn't filed my 2019 taxes yet. I thought this was odd at the time, as the word "amend" didn't appear anywhere. 
  5. But it was helpful, actually, because the user interface was familiar. I pretty quickly found that I had entered my 1098 mortgage interest info, but I had mistakenly said the loan was unsecured. Thus the interest was calculated as not deductible. (I have major issues with TT not pointing out the inconsistency of this answer compared to prior years!! But that's not the point of this story.)
  6. I changed the answer to "Yes, it's secured by property" and clicked Continue.
  7. As expected, the refund/owe tracker in the upper left changed in my favor by a lot for both federal and state – just like it would have if I had entered it correctly back in April.
  8. At this point I had no idea what to do – I was deep in the middle of the full tax-prep process – so I clicked out of deductions ("wrap up deductions" or similar) and clicked ahead in the navigation to "Review Federal."
  9. (At this point I'm not sure exactly what happened. It definitely showed a summary screen, bragging about all the checks it was going to do to ensure my best refund. I'm not sure I clicked anything else.)
  10. Suddenly, disorientingly, I found myself back where I started – the main entry point for viewing returns, amending returns, etc.

So I started the amend process over again, but this time it did what it's supposed to do. EXCEPT...

It now has as a "starting point" the "fixed" return that I changed above. So the owe/refund tracker at the top of the screen indicates that I've already gotten the mortgage interest deduction that I came in to get.

• Glitch #1: As I enter the amendment flow, it says that it's going to zero out the owe/refund tracker at the top of the screen. It zeroes out the federal, but the state number jacks up to
  • I attempt to tell TT that I'm here to change my form  1098. But It already has the "Yes, secured" answer so it's not a change. It just congratulates me that I got the deduction.

The happy ending... after writing this whole thing, I went back and tried several more times and it magically started working. I saw the federal refund number I was expecting, with $0 for state. It the took me to state, where the right number populated easily.

My theory: I have absolutely no explanation for how I got into my original 2019 return in the first place. But the amendment flow could have "fixed itself" if there is a batch process that runs every 15 or 30 mins (not in real time) that fixes inconsistent data and the like.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sounds like you made the change before starting the amendment process... look at the 1040X to confirm this ... is there any change listed in column B? 

If that is what happened start over ... delete the 1040X in the forms mode ... put the return back to how you filed it and only then start the amendment process and make the change. 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

It can happen that what you see is out of sync with what is in your tax return without you knowing it.

This has been mentioned here often for years.

One "solution" is to log off, wait a bit, and log in again.

Sounds like you made the change before starting the amendment process... look at the 1040X to confirm this ... is there any change listed in column B? 

If that is what happened start over ... delete the 1040X in the forms mode ... put the return back to how you filed it and only then start the amendment process and make the change. 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

Thanks for the explanation of 1040X, you helped me confirm that it all looks good now. 😌

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies