turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can Turbo tax help with the correct reporting? My wife received two RMDs in 2018 for 2017 and 2018 from each of her 401K plans. How do I report this on our 1040 for 2018?

My wife turned 70 1/2 in November 2017. She received RMD payments for 2017 and 2018 for each of her 401K plans in January and February 2018. The 1099Rs do not report the RMDs for each year, only one amount which sums up to the total payment. I know the breakdown of 2017 and 2018. On the 1040, do I need to show the amounts individually or in total? Is Turbo Tax able to help in this regard? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can Turbo tax help with the correct reporting? My wife received two RMDs in 2018 for 2017 and 2018 from each of her 401K plans. How do I report this on our 1040 for 2018?

No, you do not need to separate the amounts on the form 1099-R between 2017 and 2018. Just enter the forms and report the amounts on them.

When TurboTax asks in the interview, just say that your wife has satisfied all RMDs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to separate the amounts on the form 1099-R between 2017 and 2018. Just enter the forms and report the amounts on them.

When TurboTax asks in the interview, just say that your wife has satisfied all RMDs.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies